Has anyone allready done this helmet idea?

Thanks Hagen. And a big thanks again to askywalker but you're killing me here! WOW look at all that stuff.:lol:

To be honest I hadn't even thought of matching holes to the interior - that would look fantastic - but I probably wont for a few reasons.

1) Time; I have very little, that's why progress has been slow.

2) That's rather ambitious for minimal talent I have, but I’d love to do it when I get better. - the little bits I'm doing on the RF and ear are enough for me at the moment.

I'm trying using other effects to create the look of acid damage without resorting to holes, if done correctly they WOULD look great but I'm not confident in my abilities to attempt them. At the moment I'm using layering of paints to get that shiny multi-coloured effect acid creates on metal and deliberately making the paint crack and bubble in places to create a nice effect.

The bucket is a nice little fiberglass number I picked up on EBay AGES ago. It's not 100% accurate but was a very good price and I'm using it for this project as the 'damage' and weathering will hopefully mask some of its shortcomings.

All your suggestions I'm going to keep for when I get a really nice bucket and do this properly, that will be display only piece to be treasured. The one I'm working on will be a test so to speak, a series of mistakes to learn from.

Thanks again :cheers

Edit: Actually I may put some circuts behind the keyholes as well, that's 1 part where the bucket lets me down and could use some attention. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well good luck in all your efforts! And no worries, I'm not too hot at all of this mess either. Have fun with it! It's all a learning experience.

For some reference, have you read the "Mandalorian armor?" It gives a brief description of Fett when Dengar picks him up.

-tubachris

Hi again fellow Fetters.
Just wondering what the etiquette is - should I post progress pics here or start a new "progress" thread?
Thanks

OK... this is slightly nerve racking posting my stuff but here goes (It took me ages to be able to hit 'Submit Reply'):

Keep in mind this is not finished and is only a test run.

Front View:
Picture obsolete... see more recent posts

Range finder detail:
sarlaccfett2kl4.jpg

Front with flash:
Picture obsolete... see more recent posts

I want to add more of the detail I used on the rangefinder to other parts of the bucket. Also, I'll keep it consistent by continuing the scratches and scoring over the visor. I'm still trying to think of ways to make it look more damaged with out knocking holes in it... I'll post more when I have it.

Questions? Suggestions? By all means go for it... just be gentle to this poor newbie :)

Last edited by a moderator:
that is really amazing looking, i love the level of detail your putting into it, the rangefinder wires, the bronze burn marks...its lookin really good, man

That looks pretty good Pesh. I really love the details in the rangefinder and the helmet itself. It looks great. Keep up the good work.

That looks great! How did you actually do the damage to the RF? It looks really realistic!

I think the real bucket already had more weathering on the front and such before the Sarlacc, so you may want to look in to adding that, then adding more damage.

The brown burn marks are great! How did you get that effect?

That looks amazing! Did you add the Lightsaber effect to Kit Fisto?

Thanks people,

The RF detail was achieved with a hack saw to make the hole and to roughen up the edges, then I put in some electrical wire, then melted some solder around the hole (took me a few attempts to get it right, now its solid as a rock) and finally painted it - also the stalk was originally a gold colour painted silver so I could scratch it off realistically.

Yeah askywalker I know there's more screen accurate damage to add and that's what I'll be working on next (I'm dreading doing the back of it so I might make that part particularly sarlacc damaged :lol:).

The burns I marked out with a soldering iron (this strips the paint VERY effectively) and then I just painted them in. All paints are enamel and a combination of rattle-can and model paints.

Did you add the Lightsaber effect to Kit Fisto?

No. I have this cupboard see, and it brings toys to life, but I've since lost the key and frankly the little **** has become a real pest.

Thanks for the kind words.

Very cool idea. I haven't read those books in a while (there's another one - Tales from Jabba's palace or Tales from the bounty hunters, I forgot which one). One of those books tells about what Boba Fett was feeling while in the Sarlacc, including which areas of his body were feeling the effects of the Sarlacc digestive acid making it's way through his "acid proof jumpsuit" and such.

The helmet idea (and frankly, full costume idea) is GREAT. But, like was said before, to achieve this look you'd have to match the ROTJ helmet paint job as accurately as you can (the correct scratches and dings and whatever) and THEN go crazy with the acid burns over that. I know large areas can be just acid burned and you wouldn't have to worry as much about the accurate ROTJ weathering, but on surface areas you can see on your existing helmet you'll have to match up the proper ROTJ scratch marks.

Fantastic project, dude. Can't wait to see your final product. :)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back