Servo Info

GrottyFurball

Active Hunter
Well as you all know I got a super sweet terminal fettler helmet. My question is how "agresive" are servos for the range finder? do they stap up and down really quick or are they a little slower? Will I have to reinforce the area to compensate for one?

Thanks in advance ;)

I have a terminal fettler rangefinder and stalk. I rigged the servo Hyperdyne sells to it, and I recorded a video of the result. You can use this video to see for yourself how fast the rangefinder goes up and down:

Last edited by a moderator:
How hard was it to put in? I just don't want to wreck my helmet. it really is my prized posession at the moment.

Shortimer, I can't get your video to load. it might just be my connection tho

How hard was it to put in? I just don't want to wreck my helmet. it really is my prized posession at the moment.

I won't lie to ya ... it is tough! But there are 2 things I can point out:
1) Before installing the servo in the helmet, take the RF stalk off the helmet, and try test fitting the servo into the stalk first. That way if it doesn't work, the helmet won't be touched at all. And if it does work, now you know how to install it.
2) Remember, mostly everything behind the ear cap will not be visible to the public. So if you need to make an alteration behind the earcap, don't worry so much about it.

Video works now. even tho you say it's a pain, I think I would be insulting my helmet by not putting one in.

What's so hard about putting them in? My concern is that there's allready a tube running thru my stalk. I don't want to interfere with that. in all honesty, I'm terrified of ruinning another stalk so atleast I will have one to practice on.

I won't lie to ya ... it is tough! But there are 2 things I can point out:
1) Before installing the servo in the helmet, take the RF stalk off the helmet, and try test fitting the servo into the stalk first. That way if it doesn't work, the helmet won't be touched at all. And if it does work, now you know how to install it.
2) Remember, mostly everything behind the ear cap will not be visible to the public. So if you need to make an alteration behind the earcap, don't worry so much about it.

Yeah dont glue anything for good untill you know it will work. It took me a few months to get everything to work right.

I have a terminal fettler rangefinder and stalk. I rigged the servo Hyperdyne sells to it, and I recorded a video of the result. You can use this video to see for yourself how fast the rangefinder goes up and down:

can you make a electrical diagram as to how you hooked up the wireless remote to the switches on your gauntlet? thanks!

can you make a electrical diagram as to how you hooked up the wireless remote to the switches on your gauntlet? thanks!

I really wish I could, but unfortunately I've covered the wire connections with hot glue so they would NOT break off or short out. So I can't use that for reference now.:cry If somebody has the Hyperdyne remote-controlled servo, all I would need is a picture of both sides of the chip that is inside the remote casing. If I've got that, then I can show ya how I rigged it to my gauntlet.;)

Jimmy BufFETT, how is it that you got the rangefinder led's to light up only when it's in the down position.
Is that something you did custom, or does that come with the hyperdyne circuitboard?
its really cool

Getting the servo to fit right into the stack might be tricky on a TF helmet. Because of the kind of bolt and hollow stalk you might have to dremel out a half circle in the ear and attach the servo arm to the stalk through that.

The hyperdyne circuit board turns the lights on when its in the down position.

Wiring the servo is not too difficult so long as you have the necessary parts. The only thing that I dont have is the actual servo control board. Other than that, I wire an old RC motor to a battery and RC transmitter chip from one of those micro RC cars and can operate that motor with a remote control from that micro car. At first, I didnt know you would need a servo board, and just wired it directly, and it just twitched. Now I know that the servo motors work by commands that are pulses, rather then a direct current. Heres how I rigged up the motor:

newmotorRC.jpg

-tubachris

ZR: you have a bearing tilt switch in the RF, as for wiring in a servo, my original idea was to replace the washer immediately under the hollow bolt ( or possibly on top) with a 45 degree cog, then a 45 degree cog on the servo. This would result in the servo being flush to the helmet interior , whilst still being able to utilise the hollow pivot point...

Jimmy BufFETT, how is it that you got the rangefinder led's to light up only when it's in the down position.
Is that something you did custom, or does that come with the hyperdyne circuitboard?
its really cool

The rangefinder lights come on by themselves. The Hyperdyne chip was a mercury tilt senory build into it. But be advised ... it's very fragile! Any damage to it could cause a very frustrating malfunction.

I wire an old RC motor to a battery and RC transmitter chip from one of those micro RC cars and can operate that motor with a remote control from that micro car.

How fast does the motor move?
I mean, does the rangefinder go up and down quickly or does it go slow.
Its a great idea(y), I like it and i could definately save some $ instead of buying the hyperdyne servo stuff.:)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back