It has arrived...

When you start with the silver base coat (as I see you did) get a can of rubber cement. You can also use liquid latex (that's what I did) and I've heard of some people using mustard but have never used it myself. Apply the cement to the silver base coat wherever you'd like the top colored layer to chip away and show the silver under it. Once that's done and you are happy with where you applied the rubber cement then lay down the color. Wait until the paint dries enough so that you can touch it without leaving marks and gently rub the spots where the cement is. If you put the cement on thick enough it should rub away colored areas only where the cement was. Flat clear coat looks good on a weathered helmet, I think. Hope it helps.

When you start with the silver base coat (as I see you did) get a can of rubber cement. You can also use liquid latex (that's what I did) and I've heard of some people using mustard but have never used it myself. Apply the cement to the silver base coat wherever you'd like the top colored layer to chip away and show the silver under it. Once that's done and you are happy with where you applied the rubber cement then lay down the color. Wait until the paint dries enough so that you can touch it without leaving marks and gently rub the spots where the cement is. If you put the cement on thick enough it should rub away colored areas only where the cement was. Flat clear coat looks good on a weathered helmet, I think. Hope it helps.

I have used both Toothpaste and mustard, They work just as good, but with Liquid mask you can just chip it off, with mustard you need to wash it...I dont really care about that though.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back