The cape seal.

Entropy

New Hunter
I’ve searched quite a bit and I can’t seem to find any answers regarding some specifics on Zam's Mabari cape seal.

Basically, I’d love to know:
1. What the outside dimensions are.
2. Its approximate thickness.
3. And if anyone has any idea what the back should look like (what kind of fastener or fasteners).

I’m interested in trying a scratchbuild of the piece out of metal. I have the Visual Dictionary (the image looks a bit skewed to me) and I found a couple of shots from the FIDM exhibition. I could probably extrapolate dimensions that are close. However, I’d like to be as accurate as possible.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any specific information or additional reference photos?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Entropy - I'm new here also. I'm still learining, but someone here could probably give a good estimate.

Are you planning on doing a run of the cape seals? If so I might be interested.

:lol: Well personally we just guessed the thickness, ours is held on with a super magnet :) Not sure if that helps at all im not sure whats "accurate" :(

It's not 'ours' it's 'yours' woman :)

Good question dude as I'd love to know it's exact dimensions. Becky's is just based on scale of other things

Mine was the first thing I got ... years ago. I guess it's pretty close to scale ??? It has a pin clasp glued to it on the back.

I'm not all that worried about the back, mostly curioius. I would like to come as close as possible on the size and shape, though. I'm starting to feel like the seal is much rounder than it's often shown. The visual dictionary gives the appearance that it's quite oval, but as I mentioned before, I think it's skewed. The fact that the bottom edge of it is often tucked under Zam's breastplate and the shape of the design both seem to contribute to the oval illusion as well. During the speeder chase, you get some good straight on views that make the seal look very nearly round.

zamseal.jpg

Yeah, but too bad you can snatch them from there in a high resolution state...I figured out how to get them (other than a screen shot), but in this case taking a screen shot will turn out just as good. I just want to keep them handy for reference.

It's always good to save them to some kind of portable memory (flash, SD, ect.) and take them to Wal-Mart and print out some digital copies at the photo lab. They turn out great, and you get a better idea of color instead of guessing how accurate your monitor's color is.

Last edited by a moderator:
That screen-shot shows it being rounder than it actually is ... I've seen it in person at the FIDM exhibit (I'll try to post a pic or two... ) and it is oval. Unfortunately, we couldn't measure the thing or even get really close to the costume (not that we didn't try :lol: ).

the best way i found to try and get a somewhat accurate size was to scale it up from the only shot of zam wear it can be seen thats a sull length shot...in the VD you can kind of get a rough estimate by upscaling it 6 times as she is about 1/6 her actual height in the picture...thats how i scaled up all my greebs...it not a perfect match im sure but at least i figure its close as anything else can be without actually measuring the items

That screen-shot shows it being rounder than it actually is ... I've seen it in person at the FIDM exhibit (I'll try to post a pic or two... ) and it is oval. Unfortunately, we couldn't measure the thing or even get really close to the costume (not that we didn't try :lol: ).

Groovy. I was hoping someone would have some additional shots from that exhibit.

I thought THIS was a pretty ingenious idea for such situations. I may have to rig something like that up for myself some day.

I agree that laser pointer measuring method is so simple yet genious! Why didn't I think about that...:lol:

I was at Wal-Mart the other day and they had some laser pointers with flash lite on them for like $3 a piece. I need to stop back in a pick up a set. It would be good to have at CIV.

Yeah... well... we wanted to do something like that... It was a no go. :( I swear if you even LOOKED at the costumes funny the alarms went off! :rolleyes

FYI the EPII Visual Dictionary has a good pic of the cape seal - not to scale, but it shows the correct shape and good details.

I just photocopied and traced the visual dictionary picture, but I really only guessed the scale. its one of those "whatever looks best:" scenarios.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back