My 20 lb. back armor!

Thanks guys. Stole a few minutes early this morning to finish these up. They're approximately 1.5" wide and 1/8" high. I'm not sure if I should add a little more height to them though? Any input, let me know.

Happy Easter everyone!

DSC06560.JPG

DSC06562.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys, for those of you who have been following this thread...I could use your input before I finish the backplate by building the side flaps at the bottom and pouring some silicone over it all.;)

Right now the shoulders are exactly 15" wide (1" wider than BKBT's collar armor). For more accuracy, the shoulders of the backplate should be as wide as the collar piece, and the sides of the entire backplate could stand to be tapered about 1-2 degrees more.

The problem is that I'm trying to make the backplate so that it could be used by a wide range of shoulder widths, members' heights, and those both using and not using BKBT armor.

So my question is: should I take a little off the top sides to decrease the shoulder width more to match BKBT's collar piece? Yes/no??:confused Are the majority of us in need of a backplate using BKBT armor?

Personally, about 14" would be perfect for me. So let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Lorenzo

I think you could leave it big & then it could be trimmed to fit after. Maybe incorporate some scribe lines into it & if the plate is to be left large these could easily be filled in.

...then that would be one more piece I'd have to make before CIV and I already have enough to do as it is!:lol: ...plus BKBT's fits me perfectly. In a perfect world, I would have been able to buy a backplate!:facepalm ;)

I'm thinking I'll maybe take 1/4" off each side and increase the taper just a tad.

I would say,leave it bigger and let the member trim to size,more or less one size fits all.but thats just my 2 cents:rolleyes "measure 3 times cut once"

Ok, I increased the taper on the sides a couple degrees and even gave it a taper going from the front to the back. The shoulders came out to 14.75" wide, and the pen line is the cut line to make it the proportionate 15" tall like in the ref. pics. However, I'm going to leave it long for trimming. Tomorrow I add the side lower flaps and then call it done...if there are no objections that is.(y)

DSC06572.JPG

Cruzer, once again bro, GREAT WORK!

Ok, now so you'll know where to send it to, my address is...:lol:

In all seriousness, if you're intending on doing a run, I'm in!;) (y)

THX in Advance!

:cheers

P.S. How are you itending on handeling the arc on the bottom? OR are you leaving it flush and depending on where each individual trims the length, it would then be up to them to cut that part out?

Thanks guys.
BKBT, I'll definitely use your template suggestion. That would probably be the best for that circular cut out, GBH.(y)

I'm still not completely satisfied with the outside shape, and it's bugging me. Something still seems to be off a tad. I'm wondering if the taper on the top is less than the taper on the bottom of the original.:confused

As for price, as cheap as possible, guys. I know I'll have to run down to my local Officemax for extra large boxes ($5-$6), and shipping weight may run 5-7 lbs. So let me figure out the cost of materials and estimate the shipping costs and I'll get back to you guys on that. But I am hoping for about $75 or less.

Thanks,
Cruzer

Cruzer, when you put the bottom flaps on, then take a look at it. It may help your eye follow that shape better, know what i mean?

Im in for that price! (y)

I would do the cut-out according to the "accurate" size, so those with the longer backplate will just have a bigger cut-out.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back