Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based)

Here are some very early pics.I used a cast of a Dp deluxe as an armature and slopped some bondo in the basic shape needed.I cut out a visor/nose template from abs and found all my centers.Now I am roughing in the clay.
The face will be shorter than the regular fett but I will have to build the dome up a bit which will compensate for the face being shorter.
The pics are at an upward angle so the visor looks like it has a bend in it in the middle it doesnt it goes straight across like the figures does.
It starting to look like something.
I will soon cut out the lower mandible section and use flat stock sintra.Ill mock up the 3 aerators but will most likely have to cast them seperately.Ill post more pics soon.

PICT0231.jpg

PICT0238.jpg

PICT0239.jpg

Well I have been on a concept helmet tear lately im finishing up the Mcquarrie stormtrooper and now starting this one and have another concept helmet in mind when this is done.
Because this is going to be a clay sculpt I will have to make 2 molds one of the original sculpt and then Ill have to pull a hard copy and clean it up smooth to make my master.So yeah I probably will offer a few to cover my costs on the project.

Cool! I'll be paying attention to this project as it goes along.

It's hard to tell in the pics, but it looks like the mandibles on the original helmet are kind of "smooshed" together at the bottom. Would that make it too small to wear? Or do you plan to only make it as a display piece?

Cool! I'll be paying attention to this project as it goes along.

It's hard to tell in the pics, but it looks like the mandibles on the original helmet are kind of "smooshed" together at the bottom. Would that make it too small to wear? Or do you plan to only make it as a display piece?

Yeah i cut a slit in each corner of the eye slot and squeezed the mandibles together and bondoed them.
It should be wearable because the clay sculpt will go back out to the area where the mandibles would generally be.The reason i did this was because if I sculpted over them in the original postiton the helmet would have been to huge and out of proportion.

Cool! I was gonna work on a sculpt of this helmet when I get out of school.

You still should! I love the concept stuff... and the cool thing is everyone who does one it will be a little differnt just like the Mcquarrie sketches are all a little different.
If you decide to do one lmk would be glad to help in any way I can.-Jason

I am willing to bet you have been asked more than once, but what kind of clay are you using? Oil/wax based or water? Do you have any problems getting it to stick to your 'armature'? I have been having trouble getting my chavant NSP soft to stick to mine since it wants to stick to my fingers more than flat plastic surfaces. So I have been using the water based clay, I just foresee this as problematic when I go to mold, since I planned on using water based clay to dam for the plaster and silicone. I guess it just means more work in finalizing...

Outstanding work BTW.

-x

I am willing to bet you have been asked more than once, but what kind of clay are you using? Oil/wax based or water? Do you have any problems getting it to stick to your 'armature'? I have been having trouble getting my chavant NSP soft to stick to mine since it wants to stick to my fingers more than flat plastic surfaces. So I have been using the water based clay, I just foresee this as problematic when I go to mold, since I planned on using water based clay to dam for the plaster and silicone. I guess it just means more work in finalizing...

Outstanding work BTW.

-x

I use Roma plastilena med./firm.I dont generally have problems with it not wanting to stick.On smooth abs or sintra it does tend to slide around a bit.what I do in that situation is drill pilot holes into the armature to give the clay a place to root into this works great.
I tried the wax based prima plastilena and hated it it was like sculpting with warm peanut butter it stuck to my hands better than it did the sculpture but it is great for making dams when molding.

I assume you just seal it up good before molding, I used romalina once before finding out about the sulfur retarding the curing process in silicone. I kind of moved away from it after that disaster, maybe I will give it a go again, I still have about 20 lbs of romalina in the basement. Thanks for your time man.

-x

I assume you just seal it up good before molding, I used romalina once before finding out about the sulfur retarding the curing process in silicone. I kind of moved away from it after that disaster, maybe I will give it a go again, I still have about 20 lbs of romalina in the basement. Thanks for your time man.

-x

Yeah you def. wanna seal it good with several coats of krylon crystal clear. thats what i use and it work well just got to make sure you seal it well it kindd of puts a vapor barrier between the clay and the mold material.

You still should! I love the concept stuff... and the cool thing is everyone who does one it will be a little differnt just like the Mcquarrie sketches are all a little different.
If you decide to do one lmk would be glad to help in any way I can.-Jason

I definitely still want to do it. I love building stuff from scratch, when I have the time to make it look right. Maybe I'll make one of the other concept variations. I've seen a couple different ones. I've bben trying to think of a way to do the fold out abdominal gun and have it look right when retracted too. BTW I recently got one of your jumpsuits from someone here. Very nice work!(y)

-Troy

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back