Golden Armor Fett Kit (Pic Heavy)

He's been making those helmets for many years. That's partly why I remember them being off the DP 95. Rubies wasn't even making Star Wars items back then, and the DP Deluxe had a different shape to it.

Ditto....G.A.'s Fett helmet is definitely a DP95...that much I do remember, oh and that he uses that cheap arse FG ...no matting:facepalm

You did an amazing job of cleanup! (y)

Steve

Ditto....G.A.'s Fett helmet is definitely a DP95...that much I do remember, oh and that he uses that cheap arse FG ...no matting:facepalm

You did an amazing job of cleanup! (y)

Steve

I'm not sure what you mean by matting. FG matting -- as in Fiberglass cloth? I did experience FG cloth in the Vader kit I purchased off him. The problem was with the facemask in that the FG cloth was not bonding to the resin, creating many air pockets and bubbles. The entire inside left face was one massive airpocket. When I ripped out the FG sheets, the resin underneath looked like stalagmites in a cave. I sanded down as much as I could, then coated the inside with an epoxy paste which, once cured, was further sanded down.

GoldenArmor_Before_4.jpg

Trust me, there are FG sheets there... just not on the skullcap.

If any of you are interested in reading up on my "diary" on this particular Golden Armor Vader kit, please see:

http://www.aokforums.com/thepropden/thepropden-about433.html

Thank you all for your kind support. I've read up on AFFO$'s excellent writeup on Rust-oleum and Krylon paints, and I noticed there is a very nice variety of compatable greens when I walked through Home Depot's paint section. This should be interesting.

As a Vader hobbyist, I'd daresay that Vader is a greater challenge in shaping and filing, but Boba Fett is far more difficult to paint than Vader.

that vader pic is gruesome...

fiberglass matt is that cross woven stuff as opposed to fiberglass cloth which is an even weave of horizontal and vertical fibers

Not to go too off the topic, but the pictures of Golden Armor's stuff looks scary... Hows the quality on his smaller resin casted stuff usually? I recently got an email from him and he's got a particular piece that I'm looking for, but it just so happens I got it the same time as I see this thread and now I'm not so sure. =) If you want more details, check out the blaster forum.

Phil

So I have this Fett and a Vader and both use chalky resin. So if you take care of it and don't drop it, the chalky resin is very shapable using detailing files. Resin isn't necessary strong anyway, but if you feel you need to do a lot of cleanup and you want something that responds to your sandpaper, then despite the flaws of the Fett and Vader products I actually like the resin he used.

Now I also have a EP2 Clone Trooper helmet he gave me, and this is almost some kind of yellowish plastic. The FG "parmesean cheese" is there but not a lot, and what's there is blurry in detail as if something got coated over it. It's almost as if it were a different make.

Squared_Cheeks.jpg

Okay, I've done a little more cleanup today to the interior, filed the edges of the eyes, and did an initial attempt to square off the cheeks, so I hope I understood what I was reading. I did a little bit of filework and sanding to bring out the visor detail a wee bit more.

After looking at the paint tutorial, I'm going, "What am I getting myself into?" I'm not quite prepared to go headlong (or headstrong) into such an elaborate paint scheme at this point, so if anyone's interested, I posted this FS/FT in The Cargo Hold. I need to get back to my Vaders, but at some point I will rejoin you guys with a more screen-sized dome kit after I've gotten all these Vader kits out of the way....

... Darth Incomplete, Darth Unfinished, and Darth Are-U-Slacking are calling at me from out in the shop.

Someone spoke for it in the Classifieds. But I thought I'd share with you what I managed to do with the Golden Armor Vader. You saw all that "parmesean cheese" and "cottage cheese". What I found out was that the head's mounting system was packed with "cheese" because he couldn't lay the FG cloth in that area. After attemting to hollow the mounting system out, it turns out it was just pure resin left. I decided to destroy the skullcap and start over.

skull_phase2_5.jpg

What you see is a skull cap built out of AquaMend, which is a marine FG repair epoxy putty which I have found invaluable in various projects. It's great not only for holes but for building structure.

After sanding down the interior as much as I could, I pasted it with marine epoxy. AquaMend can be pressed against and into the facemask's interior, and because it does not stick to wet hands, you can smoothe it out with wet fingers. The result here is a facemask that is safer to wear -- and stronger.

So there *is* hope.

Here is a review of various putties and pastes including the aforementioned AquaMend:

http://www.aokforums.com/thepropden/thepropden-about432.html

Thanks for all the kind encouragement and feedback, folks. If that gentleman takes this kit off my hands, I'll work on my Vader kits. Once I'm done and come back up for air, it'll be Boba Fett time for me. You'll see me in the future.

The fuuuutoooreeee. ;)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back