Armor-Fiberglass or Plastic

for me, it's all about the metal! ;)

nothing like the resounding thud as some punk whacks you across the chest, only to find that he just backhanded a thick metal plate!
You need a metal bucket and Jet Pack to go along with that set!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen any evidence or heard any commentary from "reliable sources" that the ESB armor, or any armor for that matter, was fiberglass. All the photographic evidence we have points to vaccuformed armor.

However, the lone exception is the left gauntlet. It's less rounded and a little sharper than the right gauntlet. And the gauntlet at MoM, which is badly chipped in the front, just doesn't look like plastic. Maybe a fiberglass left gauntlet was safer than plastic if they intended for the ROTJ gaunt to actually work.

If you look closely at the collar on one of the screen grabs I posted, there is little to know way that could be done on a vac table as it curves under. That kind of undercut cant be done IMO.

You need a metal bucket and Jet Pack to go along with that set!

A metal :jet pack???? Just the thought of that gives me the jibblies ... that's gotta weigh quite a bit!!!! If I had one, my spine would probably compress 3 inches. I call that an ouch!:facepalm

A metal :jet pack???? Just the thought of that gives me the jibblies ... that's gotta weigh quite a bit!!!! If I had one, my spine would probably compress 3 inches. I call that an ouch!:facepalm

If it were sheetmetal, and hollow, I think it wouldnt wiegh more than 15 pounds.

If you look closely at the collar on one of the screen grabs I posted, there is little to know way that could be done on a vac table as it curves under. That kind of undercut cant be done IMO.

You would think, but I vaccume formed my friends predator mask which had an undercut that sucked the plastic actually behind the mold. It took some time and cutting but we finally got the plastic off so it can be done, just isnt the easiest route to go.

I think you would have to attach your jet pack to your wheelchair after wearing a metal jet pack around.

I've never seen anything (or anyone) who suggests that the ESB armor was fiberglass EXCEPT for the left guantlet.

As for my personal opinion on plastic vs. fiberglass.... I prefer to have plastic since the real stuff was plastic, it's cheaper and it's lighter. Also, plastic has some leeway when bending (not much but some). If you wear fiberglass parts they can't bend. Take knees for example... I've seen many pairs of fiberglass knees just snap when someone trys to bend in them. I won't wear the stuff. That and if you bang into anything they'll chip. Plastic won't.

Take knees for example... I've seen many pairs of fiberglass knees just snap when someone trys to bend in them.

I wear fiberglass knees, and every time I hear the slightest thing that sounds like a crack, I go "huh? wha?" ... stops me dead in my tracks. But for me I prefer fiberglass knees because I've noticed my plastic ones getting cracks, and those cracks propagate every time I take a step.

Just curious- where is the screengrab you posted? Undercuts of just about any kind are possible- even likely with vacuforming. I'd like to see the pic you are talking about just to see what you're talking about though.

Mark

Scratch that- I just found your caps. I don't see anything in either of those pics that couldn't be done with vacuforming. I do see what you mean though- it looks like it could be fiber glass on the collar, but I doubt it is- we know that just about every other part was vacuformed, so I can't think of a reason for the collar and/or back to be done that way. We know that the jet pack's weight is held up by the under-armor harness, so there wouldn't be a reason for strengthening those parts.

Mark

I wish I could remeber where I herd the ESB was FG. Makes sense to be vacced. I am sure a experinced vacuformer could tackle deep undercuts with out there plastic locking onto the buck. I havnt done it that long so that someone just aint me. :)

The curvature on the plastic that makes it look like fiberglass can be achieved by raising the pieces off of the forming table so the plastic wraps around them. This can make them look a lot thicker. It is just harder to demold.

-=QuinN!

If thicker styrene is used, the lip of vacced plastic can be sanded to appear rounded, which may be what we're seeing.

To answer the question.

Fiberglass for the helmet

Plastic for the shoulder bells

Plastic or fiberglass for the backplate

Fiberglass for the chest armor and collar

Fiberglass and plastic for the gauntlets

Rubber for the cod and knees

-=QuinN!

Thanks very much to all those that contributed to my question. I found this discussion very informative, thanks.

Combatbaby, you stated that rubber was good for the cod piece. I'm curious to know why you think that? I understand the pros and cons behind the rubber knees, just wondering for some input on the cod.

- Hollywood

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back