Uneven Rub-n-buff on BKBT new armor??

Jango 5204

Active Hunter
Alright, I thought I did it right. I wet sanded the armor. Used Dupont automotive primer, waited overnight, wet sanded again. Looked & felt really smooth. Hit it with R&B and some parts got shiny and others wouldn't turn out. I almost burned my hand I put so much friction on it. I tried it again and it looks like it gets dull around the edges as it's rubbed on. Any ideas on an even application process??

P1011494.jpg

AFTER: Using Jimmybuffet's t-shirt suggestion. About 20 min of serious rubbing on each piece. Kept changing the rub spot on the t-shirt to keep it clean. THANKS JIMMYBUFFET!!!!!!

P1011497.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmmm strange, looks like an aplication problem. When I receive mine, I'll sand and Rub and buff it and then I Show it. If you like how mine turn out, then I could try to R&B yours if you want.
By the way, all your armor must be rubed untill you can buff it. So first buff, and once its all finished, rub!

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely not a problem with the armor. I'm doing something in the application process. Too much, too little, not even , haven't figured it out yet.:facepalm

Tell us whats ur aplication process.

What I do is: Apply the R&B softly, very softly, working by zones. Don't stop appling it over all the armor softly. Once the R&B is applied on the WHOLE armor, wait about 10 minutes, and then, RUB it hard with your hand.

squeeze some on a plate. get a little on my finger and rub in on in a circular motion till i need more. I do small areas about 4"-6" at a time. After it's done, I rub the whole piece. Should I be waiting before I buff it?

Barely get any of the RnB on your fingertip, then rub it on in a circular motion, then repeat to cover the entire suit of armour. Next time I recommend painting one item, then buff it, to make sure you did it correctly.

This was the exact same result I was getting with my armor. It has NOTHING to do with BKBT. It lead me to hate R&B, but I will try it again with some of these tips. I've pretty much switched to paint already, but I haven't done my shins yet so I will test it again.

I primed my BKBT helm and then RnB it and the primer showed right thru. Looked like shiny silvery white paint. I stripped it and did it on the helm no primer and its turning out great.

You're not using enough RnB, and what are you using to buff it with? You should wait a few hours to a day before you start to buff, or else I've noticed it wipes away paint.

I had the exact same problem, and I used the same approach you did ... almost. I sanded, shot a layer of automotive primer, let it dry, sanded with 800 grit, shot another layer of primer, let it dry overnight, sanded again with 800 grit, and then RnBed.

So It's the same process, except I used a buffing cloth instead of my hand. I tried my hand, but there are 2 problems that made me abort that method. #1) My hand began sweating too much and I noticed streaks on the armor (perhaps this happened to you.) #2) Sometimes my hand would get "caught" in the process (i.e. squealing tires vs. non-squealing tires ... or static friction vs. kinetic friction.)

I used the buffing cloth ... just a very smooth cloth (or an undershirt), and was buffing to the point that I got a blister on my hand. I had to build up A LOT of heat to get it even and shiny.

You know, I have trid thats before for my helm, and found it very difficult to get it to shine. I sanded doen that whole helmet so many times, it was as smooth as ice, but I had re-done the R&B job countless times. I stil cant get it to shine as some of you guys get it to.

-tubachris

I also had problems with rub n buff when I first started using it. I wetsand with 400 grit sandpaper & a drop of dishsoap to help cut the surface until it is perfectly smooth. In some areas there is no primer left or you can see through it. I put a dab of r n b on the piece & spread it around the surface before it starts to dry, then I start with the buffing action to remove excess & bring out the shine. If needed, you can wetsand the rub n buff again without stripping & add another coat. You could also try sealing your piece with Future floor wax & then rub n buff over that. Future will dry quickly, is self levelling & will fill small scratches. You can paint over it or rub n buff. Just don't wetsand it, water will remove the floor wax.

TDH.jpg

I will say I prefer wet sandin over the dry only because you tend to get a smoother surface then if you dry sand it. IMO, I think that it would get better results from the r&b

-tubachris

Hmm, I've never had that problem. I haven't tried my BKBT armor before, but in the past I always do like 5-7 layers of primer and wet sand each one. I think I usually use Painter's Touch (made by Rustoleum) Gray Primer.

I also had problems with rub n buff when I first started using it. I wetsand with 400 grit sandpaper & a drop of dishsoap to help cut the surface until it is perfectly smooth. In some areas there is no primer left or you can see through it. I put a dab of r n b on the piece & spread it around the surface before it starts to dry, then I start with the buffing action to remove excess & bring out the shine. If needed, you can wetsand the rub n buff again without stripping & add another coat. You could also try sealing your piece with Future floor wax & then rub n buff over that. Future will dry quickly, is self levelling & will fill small scratches. You can paint over it or rub n buff. Just don't wetsand it, water will remove the floor wax.

I'd like to say that Futer is a polish not a wax, it's an acrylic so paint WILL stick to it. It's also widely used by modellers for plane canopies and clear parts.

Thanks to everyone. Used Jimmybuffet's t-shirt rubbing method. Worked well, I just rubbed harder and much longer on the R&B that was already applied. Should've skipped the gym today, that is quite the workout :lol:

I kept moving the t-shirt to a clean spot. If the silver built up on it, it tended to leave streaks from the silver already on the shirt. Turned out much much better.(y) (y)

I knew a Vader that must have used that future polish technique. I didn't understand at the time, but we were trooping and it started to rain. His helmet started to get white spots from the water drops, so I don't know if I like the idea of the future polish. Interesting cconcept about the dish soap, will try that.

Thanks to everyone. Used Jimmybuffet's t-shirt rubbing method. Worked well, I just rubbed harder and much longer on the R&B that was already applied. Should've skipped the gym today, that is quite the workout :lol:

I kept moving the t-shirt to a clean spot. If the silver built up on it, it tended to leave streaks from the silver already on the shirt. Turned out much much better.(y) (y)

Hmm, I find that I an old t-shirt works well for shining shoes as well. Ithink we found the best shining cloth available lol

-tubachris

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back