The Asylum's Custom Armor Progress Thread

I like the respirator alot Asylum. Definitely cool. I've been thinking about the deco on you helmet and the skull and trying to come up with a representation of what I visualize for your helmet and here's a rough sketch:

Please excuse the old helmet pic, that was what I initially was working from.

Maybe it'll help. But either way I know it's going to rock. Yours is one of the most inventive customs I've seen. Keep it up!

phil

asylum.jpg

I like that a lot hellopike. I'm so caught up in the physical design that I really haven't spent enough time on how it will be painted but I think your design will weigh heavily in my decision.

THANKS!

is it just mine or have i just not seen enough helmets, cause my 2 piece clone helmet looks really big, nice job so far also

HUGE update today.

Finally got the helmet shaped the way I want it and poured Alumilite inside the helmet to seal any cracks and permanently bond the 2 sides together.

468993719_4c34207c5d.png

468980384_4423ba9c9e.png

I've finished greebling the inside of the respirator with parts nobody will ever see...

468980536_634cdb7772.png

The holes you see are either for wiring for the upcoming lights or for the screws to the rebreather.

468980632_22601ede50.png

468980844_d50fd7fa76.png

This space between the helmet and the rebreather will be filled in with a thin foam weatherstripping.

468980992_06f1b7045f.png

This little scratchbuilt greeblie is covering up one helluva difference in the two sides of the helmet. I decided to cover it instead of spend any more time making it look perfect. I guess this will be a solar-cell to power the helmet's electronics in the event that the backpack power-cell is damaged.

468981090_d3b3a95381.png

468981378_7ca443e985.png

And FINALLY after weeks of work shaping, the first coat of chrome...

468994963_33855d9a06.png

468995155_2a52b3f990.png

468981880_7b43b02b7e.png

That is amazing man, I praise your skills. Would you be willing to show me via PM how to get started using bondo and such? I have wanted to fix helmets up and I would love any info aside. Thanks!

That is amazing man, I praise your skills. Would you be willing to show me via PM how to get started using bondo and such? I have wanted to fix helmets up and I would love any info aside. Thanks!

Tell you what. I've had a few people ask me for tutorials on doing some of this stuff so I'll probably put a 'how to' thread up in Propbuilding. When I do that, I'll link from here so everyone sees it.

But if you want to get started playing with Bondo, go to the auto parts store and buy Bondo Glazing & Spot putty. It's in a tube like toothpaste near the cans of Bondo. It doesn't behave EXACTLY the same as regular Bondo, but it's very similar and will give you an idea as far as how to use it to fill cracks and how long you have to work with it before it hardens to a rock.

Asylum- that chrome helmet looks spectacular. You've hit on something really neat here. My hat (or helmet) is off to you sir.

Keep on going!

Phil

this thing is getting better in every post!...this helmet make remenber of the separatist comandos......
looking VERY good..........

I'm thinkin that this character is an airborne assault commando. No heavy weapons. Just a jet pack, some small arms and grenades.

Once I get the armor done, I've got to brush up on my leatherwork and make some straps and holsters for everything.

Anyone want to trade me a vest and neckseal for some paint work?

I'm thinkin that this character is an airborne assault commando. No heavy weapons. Just a jet pack, some small arms and grenades.

I have to agree with you on this, the helmet looks like something someone jumping out of an airplane would be wearing. Great work and I like the detail work youve put into this. Keep it up!

-tubachris

I have to agree with you on this, the helmet looks like something someone jumping out of an airplane would be wearing. Great work and I like the detail work youve put into this. Keep it up!

-tubachris

That's why I've stayed away from trying to come up with a story behind him until the armor is done. It's a lot easier, and I think more fun if you let the armor dictate the function instead of having the idea and trying to force the armor into it.

For example, I had no idea when I started that my bucket would end up looking like this.

470231694_9d4ac10503_o.png

Of course now I'm thinking about changing the chest armor to more of a KOTOR look. But that will involve throwing out some of the best work on the whole outfit and I'm not sure if I'm ready for that yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Putting a Neo Crusader look to it would rock. NC suits have always seemed to have a more rounded appearance to them then modern mando armor.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back