MDF or particle board

Southern hunter

Active Hunter
I was checking out Lowe's yesterday looking for some 1/4"MDF, but could not find any. All they had was 5/8" particle board and laminated plywood. I want to use something sturdy like the MDF to make the frame for the flared part of the Boba Fett helmet using WOF's templates, but I think 5/8" particle board will be too hard to work with.

Any suggestions? What have other people used in the past that has worked well? I'm making the helmet out of Sintra.

Have you tried hardboard? I believe it's 1/8" thick and probably lighter than MDF. IT's basically pegboard with no holes. Has a smooth side and a rough side.

Check out home depot. Frankly, lowes sells MDF thats meant for roofs and pre-molded to different form. As far as making an MDF bucket, thats one heck of a challenge.

-tubachris

No, no, no. The FRAME of the bucket will be made of MDF. On WOF's templates labeled "Dome Base", "Helmet Base", "Helmet Front/Back" and "Helmet Form Rt/Lt" make a frame that you wrap the "Inner Surface" around. These pieces ensure the proper angle for the flare of the helmet.

No, no, no. The FRAME of the bucket will be made of MDF. On WOF's templates labeled "Dome Base", "Helmet Base", "Helmet Front/Back" and "Helmet Form Rt/Lt" make a frame that you wrap the "Inner Surface" around. These pieces ensure the proper angle for the flare of the helmet.

My bad, welll still, you can get some MDF from home depot, a sheet for like $5 or around that. I cant remember what thicknesses they had there, only kind Ive been using is 1/2'' thick. Since it would be the frame, one sheet should cover it all.

-tubachris
(Who may need to get some new glasses....)

Well, ive been using the MDF for making vacu-form molds for my Dark troper project. It works well if you have a good jigg saw, and a good power sander, like a belt sander. I actually have a Jango helmet already, but a Boba may be in the .

-tubachris

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back