Cardboard Fiberglass Composite

Just got back to working on it. I'm working on probably the hardest part of the cardboard helmet dome smoothing. Sure I can just continue from where I am but I think getting a nice smooth dome will help keep it looking like I made it myself.

More dome smoothing:
tn_DSC01269ff.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work!! That is really looking sweet. By the way you didn't miss anything it was me that forgat to include those parts. They will be added at the next revision though.

Keep us posted, can't wait to see it finished.

Alan

Interestingly enought I couldn't find the keyhole 'slope' in WOF's templates. I don't know if I just overlooked it or what. I even rechecked the .pdf's. Oh well I just have to do it myself, I used KaanE's pics for a quick and dirty reference BTW

Hmm. . . in that last pic you posted I'm assuming there's supposed to be a helmet there somewhere.
Must be some kind of optical illusion. :lol:

Haha! Yes hidden in the above photo is my helmet undergoing smoothing. Here's a few updates of the smoothing progress for today. Just put a fresh coat of sandable primer on, waiting to dry. Try not to get distracted by my rotating desktop pics; the helmet really is in there:

tn_DSC01271.gif

Not to be a wet blanket, because I love a good 'smooth dome' tutorial as much as the next guy, but those screensavers on your computer probably violate the boards 'Family Friendly' CoC, and may end up getting your helmet pics pulled.

Yes you should just send all future "dome" progress pics to my email address with a CC to the Sniffers email address:lol: This will help keep the site friendly

I'll turn off the monitor before I take pictures from now on, LOL. If you guys want a link to the wallpaper sites I used I can do that as well. I know how hard it can be to get a nice 1680x1050 wallpaper still.

I'll turn off the monitor before I take pictures from now on, LOL. If you guys want a link to the wallpaper sites I used I can do that as well. I know how hard it can be to get a nice 1680x1050 wallpaper still.

yeah... i pretty much make all of my own desktop images just for that reason (20" imac). my screen is usually either something star wars or something naughty ;)

great looking helmet too!

Ok, I decided to add about a 1/2" to the top of the helmet. I had originally removed it from the "flatpack dome" templates but my eyes line up too low in the visor opening even after grinding down the cardboard cross supports. Here's the work:

Cut:
tn_DSC01274.gif

Temporarily held in position:
tn_DSC01276.gif

I've already attached it with fiberglass now I just have to Bondo and fill the gap. More pics soon.

Ok, fiberglassed in placed and filled with Bondo.
tn_DSC01278.gif

tn_DSC01279.gif

I've already ground down the bondo and am currently waiting for the putty to harden so I can finish smoothing the dome. Next are the ears.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back