Brought the new baby home today...

Iceheart

Active Hunter
sewingroom.jpg

:love Ain't she purty? :love

Neoprene, leather, upholstery, here I come!!!

I'm very excited... This afternoon I watched the dealer sew through 16 layers of vinyl with her. I think she will serve my purposes admirably...

Julie

Sure you can hold the baby. Anyone from TDH can hold the baby... as long as they can lift about 215 lbs. She's a BIIIIG baby.

And ZIA, she lists at $855, but I paid... significantly less than that. It helps when the owner quotes you a price on a cheaper machine, tells you there's one in stock, but when you show up to get it, he discovers he's wrong and only has more expensive machines in stock. He gave it to me for the price of the cheaper one. I got REALLY lucky. I can't WAIT to start sewing on it. I want to try sewing my cat to something. Which tells me I probably should wait til I'm less exhausted and giddy tomorrow to play with it.

Nice one there for a nice price! Want to see my mothers collection? It's rather, eerm big. And if it wasn't so darn cold out, I could go in the garage and take pictures of the other 2 in it! Here's a sneak peak!
Machines1.jpg

And to see the full album click here. I eventually want to start using them to produce some mean Boba, and Jango belts!

I want one! I can't even sew that well! And have barely used my new regular sewing machine :lol:
I saw this one online for $600
Juki DDL-8300

Since we're on the topic of sewing stuff: What do you think about these dress forms?
sewinginusa.com

Not sure what to think on the machine, but since they're the same brand, I'll let you know what I think of mine. They should all stitch the same. One thing my dealer told me today is that Juki is made by the Suzuki family of companies in Japan, and he really trusts the brand. They're also what we used in the costume shop while I was in college, and I never remember having a problem with one.

As for the dress form, I HATE the dial ones. Hate, hate, hate. And I have 2 of them. What I want, desperately, is one of the foam ones that basically has a jacket that goes over the body-shaped foam to squish it exactly to your measurements. It "gives" more like a real body, so it can compensate for things like different cup sizes and a high hip, and it can also be used for tighter-fitting garments like spandex or corsets (or Zam vests!). The downside is, if you sew for other people like I do from time to time, or you gain or lose more than 5 lbs, it's not adjustable. You have to get a new "jacket" for it, and they're about $50. Baer fabrics has them, at least in limited sizes.

Julie

As for the dress form, I HATE the dial ones. Hate, hate, hate. And I have 2 of them. What I want, desperately, is one of the foam ones that basically has a jacket that goes over the body-shaped foam to squish it exactly to your measurements. It "gives" more like a real body, so it can compensate for things like different cup sizes and a high hip, and it can also be used for tighter-fitting garments like spandex or corsets (or Zam vests!). The downside is, if you sew for other people like I do from time to time, or you gain or lose more than 5 lbs, it's not adjustable. You have to get a new "jacket" for it, and they're about $50. Baer fabrics has them, at least in limited sizes.

Julie

So they don't have any give eh? Are they not "fabric-like" either? they look like they are too stiff, so if you wanted to stick it with pins, the pins would fall out? Or, is it that even though you adjust it with dials, they aren't really measurements like a real person? Eg, bustline isn't really like a female bust etc.

Congrats again on your baby, don't forget to feed it often (thread) and change it (bobbins). You're lucky it won't poop out on you! Haha, my son sure has squirted me enough! Last week he put a wad of sculpey in his mouth, scared me to death. Good thing it's non-toxic.

Slacker~ why so many? Just wondering, I can understand if she hosts a sewing school/party, but shouldn't one be enough? And, can you sew through veg tanned leather with one of those things? I know that leather uses special leather thread. (waxed thicker thread). I know that Tandy sells a leather sewing machine, but do industrials do the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
She is an upholsterer, and seamstress. Each machine does a different stitch, some hem, wide stitches. But really, I don't know why so many either!:)
~Slacker

Yeah....I've had my dial dress form for about 15 years....maybe longer. I don't use it for accurate fitting because it's just not shaped like me no matter where the dials are. But....it is pretty good for things like waists and for giving your those extra "hands" when you are trying to check drape etc. I guess all and all I use it a lot, but not necessary exactly what it's meant for.

I was looking up dressforms, cause I want to start from scratch and re-do some things. I found that my bod has changed from a size 12 to a size 6. So, I figured one of those would work. But now, those don't seem to do the trick because of the bust size? That stinks! Would you say a body cast with some pin - able material on top would work better?

Oh, and as for industrial sewing machines, my friend - a professional seamstress who works for a reenacting group and she said with neoprene ~ definately industrial, and definately brother or juki brand is the best. Way to go Iceheart ;)

You can increase the overall chest size....but if you're anything like me, I have a relatively small rib cage but not so small bust. There are likely things that you can do, like making a cover for it with more life like proportions. Like I said before....the form is handy.....just not the be all/end all for fitting. I wouldn't be without mine. I just don't rely on it for exact fit.

I was looking up dressforms, cause I want to start from scratch and re-do some things. I found that my bod has changed from a size 12 to a size 6. So, I figured one of those would work. But now, those don't seem to do the trick because of the bust size? That stinks! Would you say a body cast with some pin - able material on top would work better?

Oh, and as for industrial sewing machines, my friend - a professional seamstress who works for a reenacting group and she said with neoprene ~ definately industrial, and definately brother or juki brand is the best. Way to go Iceheart

The best thing you can do is a duct-tape t-shirt dummy if you really want something that'll fit almost exactly like your body, stuffed with foam. There's all kinds of tutorials around on the web for them.

I have the same issue Angela does, and I end up just cranking the dial all the way down and putting one of my bras on the dummy and stuffing it when I need something to fit tight over my chest. It doesn't work well, though.

In order to sew leather, I need to use a roller foot or a walking foot, but it will do most leathers. It quilted the leather we're using for Lonewolf's Vader bodysuit beautifully, over 2 layers of batting and a layer of cotton.

What it won't do is the super-heavy hides like you'd use in shoes, harness work, saddles, etc. I doubt it would do belt blanks or anything like that either. Anything Zam-weight except the holster will probably be fine. My dealer suggested a heavyweight nylon thread with leather.

And good to know I got something that comes recommended. Thanks ZIA! I'm gonna go home and play with my new toy tonight finally... We were trooping all day Sunday and didn't get home til 11 on Saturday, so I haven't even threaded it yet :cry

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back