It appears the ROTJ jumpsuit at M.O.M. is NOT gray.

I agree the MOM suit does look to be a bluish grey especially on the interior areas where the weathering and fading doesnt take place as much ...but the outside of the suit after all the weathering and fading looks grey to me with a slight blueish hue to it......
The other thing is to acheive the type of weathering\fading to end up with a grey jumpsuit to me seems pointless......so why not just start with a grey suit to begin with...
And my point above whether you believe it or not has no bearing on the fact I make jumpsuits....The light grey I use in natural light does have a blueish hue to it as well.
Very good info though seems the more these things get looked at the more we find new things.

I wasn't trying to be gray accurate. I just chose the ESB jumpsuit because I liked the color better when I initially made my suit. I still do, but that's preference, and not screen accurate to the gray look like my ROTJ suit should be. Over the years it just faded enough to look "almost" like the M.O.M. one.

The older and faded the better..you have a keen eye I have looked at those MOM pics dozens of times and never noticed the color difference in those areas ...again good eye :cheers

I wasn't trying to be gray accurate. I just chose the ESB jumpsuit because I liked the color better when I initially made my suit. I still do, but that's preference, and not screen accurate to the gray look like my ROTJ suit should be. Over the years it just faded enough to look "almost" like the M.O.M. one.

This is one of my favorite quotes and I think sums it up:

"The goal of the costumer and the organizations that they belong to is to duplicate the way the costume looked to the audience. Not to the film crew."

I found a coverall in faded blue which I want to buy.

What do you think. Is it the right color?

F03q.gif

5452k.gif

All the suits were white and then died and heavily weathered. In person it is almost a purplish brown with a light gray blue undertone... I think a light gray die will be fine as your base and then just build up lots of misting on it. The texture of the fabric is very important in order to get the right appearance.

I agree with Evan..

As I see it the original medium dark gray color has been washed and/or bleached again and again. This removed the brown tones from the dye leaving the dominate blue tones in the material..(brown+blue=black-brown=blue)
Continued washing and/or bleaching will always leave the jumpsuit with a tint of blue remaining..

Blue and red are the most difficult tones to remove :p

Sorry to dig this up again, but I never saw these screen/studio shots till recently, and wanted to put these up for a couple reasons.
I do see the blue very clearly in Boba's right sleeve, but I also wanted to post these for you ROTJ Fetts for other references, including top of the dome and shoulder armor shots.
It's also interesting to see in the one pic how the collar and back plate are separating.
One more notable, and I'm sure I've seen this discussed before, but I think you get a very good view of the "raised diamond" center piece in the chest armor.
If these pics were posted and discussed previously, sorry bout that. (I'll blame too lazy to do a search;) )

bob-11.jpg

bob-12.jpg

if that's the case with the seperated back and collar, what's holding the cape on?

This is one of my favorite quotes and I think sums it up:

"The goal of the costumer and the organizations that they belong to is to duplicate the way the costume looked to the audience. Not to the film crew."

Hey,

I really like that quote. Where did it come from? It really sums it up!

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back