Darktrooper Progress Thread 8MAR2011: Getting back to it

Krusty Oooooooooooooo'sssssss!

Seriously man thats looking great. The proportion seems pretty "on" to me. Keep it up! Just keep on foldin'!

Last edited by a moderator:
Scale your height to the Clone Trooper model you have. Then scale the templates from there. Problem solved.

Scale your height to the Clone Trooper model you have. Then scale the templates from there. Problem solved.

Well the thing with the model that it dosnt account for is the difference in proportions with leg length vs. arm length. For myself, my legs are longer, and if I really just did that with the model for the templates, the chest, for example, could be too tall or too short, and not look right, where other parts could fit me perfectly.

Fortunatly, I feel that the proportions are correct so far for what I have. Im just a little upset now that the JP ive been building is actually too small :ugh:

Then scale your leg to the model's leg, torso to torso, arm to arm. Mathematically, it works. Also, you could just stretch the model to your proportions, I don't know how much you know about 3D animation or 3D studio.

Then scale your leg to the model's leg, torso to torso, arm to arm. Mathematically, it works. Also, you could just stretch the model to your proportions, I don't know how much you know about 3D animation or 3D studio.

True, I see what your saying, but I am only making everything above the ab plate from pep. The only other piece I'll be doing are the shins, which will be easy enough to scale lol.

I am not very knowledgable about 3DSmax, other then the basic features that I need to know to get it into pep.

I have a sony that can freeze caps and send them to memory card, if I get off my rear and play the game, ill take a screen shot when I get to it.

I dont remember them in the book, but I dont think there was a mando in the TFU book either, but they are definitally in the game. So ill let you know.

m2

Bah, I know that the darktrooper is not in TFU, but it clearly references "the darktrooper project" as the source for the Purge Troopers.

After finding that SW mini, Ive started to build my argument about getting A darktrooper accepted into the 501st. Sent a PM to the FL garrison's GML, which I'll post my main argument from that PM, because it outlines how I feel:

Ive been having this kind of debate with others lately, and as you know, Im working this suit. The issue is whether or not, although EU, a Darktrooper can be accepted into the 501st, and after that, which version, if not, both.

The thing with the references, is that the one true darktrooper appeared in "Dark Forces," the PC game, but then followed up by an actual action figure. Thats however two visual references-no third based on that image. (the argument of wether it's a droid or not, the phase three in the game, the commonly known version that is, is a "power suit" worn by the main character/enemy)

Dark Forces Phase Three "power suit"

DarkTrooper.jpg

Then we get to the comic, "Sand Blasted" from "Star Wars tales #4" in which the DT appears again, however, the appearence *resembles* that of the phase three from Dark Forces, but is non-canonical in relation.

"Sand Blasted" Darktrooper:

Dar_troop.jpg

The next visual reference, from which I am basing my project on, is from the SW BattleFront series. Although, non-canonical to dark forces, it's still labled as one. Recently, I came across a mini "darktrooper" figure from the "force unleashed" SW Mini's pack, which clearly resembles the battlefront version, with just slight differences.

SW BattleFront darktrooper:

Dark_Trooper_Battlefront.jpg

SW Mini's "force unleashed" pack darktrooper:

31_Dark_Trooper.jpg

So the main point about this suit, in regards to getting it approved, is just that there is just a huge grey area, visually speaking. There is not one version that has 3 "canonical" appearences, abiding to the 3 reference source rule for acceptance, but at the same time, has more then 3 references, so it's like "okay, now which one??"

Im not necessarily saying that the one Im working on should be accepted, but I feel that if the DT is allowed, that it should be at least the Dark Forces version, being the first time ever appearing.

So yea, thats how I feel lol Just gotta see where it goes I guess

-TC

Oh boy, I dont know what I got myself into..

006-24.jpg

007-23.jpg

I added more clay to try to level out the dome

008-17.jpg

lol this takes awhile to put on

Just some pics of the helmet sculpt progress. I think it's actually starting to shape up a bit. Just need to try out the various smoothing techniques, and I'll be good to go from there.

In this, I started the face, added some rough details, such as under the eyes, the teeth, and really worked on the ears tonight as well

006-25.jpg

004-30.jpg

003-41.jpg

002-47.jpg

-TC

Heres some more nightly progress. I started smoothing out the clay a bit. Its not where I want it, but it's alot better then before. Seems to work best with water and sponges.

001-60.jpg

002-48.jpg

003-42.jpg

-TC

The amount of work you've put into this is staggering. Awesome dedication and results!:cheers

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

I couldnt sleep, so I did a bit more work, trying to detail and shape the left eye, and giving the "overlap" detail, thats present on stormtrooper helmets. I also started building up the upper nose area, between the eyes. The tear drop is just there, a rough version. Im hesitant to cut out the lower chin piece until I really have to.

002-49.jpg

001-61.jpg

-TC

I say put the lump in the eye, like other Trooper helmets have.

Im thinking about doing that or not. Not sure yet, because I'd be cutting that out after I would cast it anyways.

Im not sure yet if I'll make it bubble or just keep it flat. If I do bubble, I'll probably sculpt a set of lenses, mold it and make hard resin bucks to vac-form over, hopefully, be able to find a good color PETG or acrylic sheets to use.

Some more progress on the sculpt. Man, I tell ya, once I started today, I just lost track of time! lol

Im using my FX faceplate as a reference for how it *should* look. I gave one side the correct depth, that is present on TK helmets. I also started to shape up the mouth or "grin" as well. These pics are at certain angles to show you those details.

I also found a somewhat good smoothing technique, using a flat piece of styrene plastic..however, its very difficult lol You can see, I used it for the newer sections, and I feel that I will leave those smooth sections alone unitl molding.

004-31.jpg

003-43.jpg

005-25.jpg

-TC

Wow, I'm absolutly loving that, enspecialy the pepkura chest/back. I've never fully understood it, but man, it came out awsome! :cheers

starting to look really good tuba. after you sold me that fixerupper boba helmet and i restored it a while back, you said you "couldn't have gotten it done yourself" i dont believe you after seing this. i cant wait to see the finished helmet.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back