Darktrooper Progress Thread 8MAR2011: Getting back to it

I thought of something else that you could do for the helmet base came to mind last night. I don't know how your doing your Master Chief stuff, but if your using Pepakura you will already sort of understand my idea. If your not familiar with Pepakura then go read up about it on the 405th Halo site. (Cause I am lazy and don't feel like typing that much information.)

You could create a helmet base using Pepakura and the game mesh. Then reinforcing it with one of the several methods and sculpting on it. I am going to try reinforcing the Master Chief helmet I just finished. I will let you know how that goes. Because after I get that done I am planning on trying to sculpt off some of the angles before I cast it.

You might also look into Aqua Resin its a non-toxic resin I found out about when I was researching the best ways to make Pepakura based armor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I have actually thought about it, but I wouldnt really know how to create a pepakura version of it. Plus, Im just not into trying to make somthing like that completly from paper as well. Thanks for the suggestion though. Im just going to sculpt it entirely.

Ok well if you change your mind I wouldn't mind trying to come up with the pepakura version. I was just figuring it would save you some money on clay if you had a form in there to cover up, instead of a big ol blob of clay.

Ok well if you change your mind I wouldn't mind trying to come up with the pepakura version. I was just figuring it would save you some money on clay if you had a form in there to cover up, instead of a big ol blob of clay.

I understand, just the whole pepakura thing dosnt really appeal to me I guess. Besides, I havent gotten a new ink cartriage since it ran out. I can send you the 3d file if you want to make one, its currently on 3DSmax.

For sculpting it, I would first make the base just like the actual 3d model looks without the bump mapping on it, and just add the details from there. I guess it wouldnt hurt to have one on file, but I'd feel more fullfilled if I sculpt it myself.

Hey man,
Could you shoot me a copy of the 3D file? I also saw you were thinking about slushcasting once you get some molds made because you, like myself, "certainly don't have the money for a rotocasting machine." I don't know if you'd be interested or not but I actually found a website with plans on how to build a simple rotocasting machine which I'm going to try. It looks really easy to do. Here's the site http://www.solsylva.com/cnc/rotomold.html.

Troy

Hey man,
Could you shoot me a copy of the 3D file? I also saw you were thinking about slushcasting once you get some molds made because you, like myself, "certainly don't have the money for a rotocasting machine." I don't know if you'd be interested or not but I actually found a website with plans on how to build a simple rotocasting machine which I'm going to try. It looks really easy to do. Here's the site http://www.solsylva.com/cnc/rotomold.html.

Troy

Check your email :)

Thanks for the link. Ive seen people make their own before. I honestly want to try and save as much money as I can, and adding another machine to build will just increase the costs. Maybe in the future, because I already have a few people who are asking to buy one from me before I even have it!

If you decide you want a pep-file template of the helmet let me know, other wise I am not going to fiddle with it right now. Right now I am working on trying to figure out a way to do a Hazard Trooper using Pepakura templates as a base. (Yea I am crazy they are 8' 8", I know.)

Alright...well, some of you know that right now Im trying to figure what the height of the FX is...and well, its alot harder then I thought! (trust me, my search extends faaaaaar beyond this site)

Anyways, the purpose of that is for my alternative method partially explained above with the help from Z-man. For those who have seen the common method of master chief armor making (the budget form) they use a paper modeling program, call pepakura; 3d model made from poly's that it unfolds, and you can print, cut out and build from paper!

So, Z-man will be supplying me with an actual pepakura model using the actual game model I sent him. From that, Im waiting to find out the height so that he knows how to properly scale it. Once thats confirmed, he will send me the unfolded pep, and I will attempt for the first time to construct it! If all as it should be, it will be a literal, real life version of what you actually see in the game..only void of the details.

From that, I will fiberglass resin it from the inside so that it will harden, and be pretty solid. I will bondo and smooth out the polygonal sides, and then after thats done, I will afix it to an armature, and begin to put a layer of chavant clay over it, and add the proper details. So I will be doing virtually what an actual 3d model programer does...only real life lol, with the base polygonal shape and then the layer of clay with details (just like bump mapping!)

So thats the plan, it will increase its accuracy this way, I believe..I just hope I can get this pep started while Im still stuck at home and bored!

Thanks

-tubachris

I'm also drawing blanks on people whom I know that have Stormtrooper armor. GRRR the one guy I knew would get me measurements has an AP helmet rather then a FX. I am going to keep sending messages. Hopefully something turns up.

I'm also drawing blanks on people whom I know that have Stormtrooper armor. GRRR the one guy I knew would get me measurements has an AP helmet rather then a FX. I am going to keep sending messages. Hopefully something turns up.

Yea...Im really confused about why its this difficult with sooo many of them out there. I might just have to make up the number if nothing turns up...

If nothing else I can get the AP size one. Although I suspect a little smaller might not be a bad idea seeing as your going to be covering the thing any way.

I should be able to carry out my foam experiments this weekend as I will have access to things I don't normally have at school. I will let you know how those turn out.

If nothing else I can get the AP size one. Although I suspect a little smaller might not be a bad idea seeing as your going to be covering the thing any way.

I should be able to carry out my foam experiments this weekend as I will have access to things I don't normally have at school. I will let you know how those turn out.

Sure, your right..hmm..going to send a PM

Alrighty then!

This is the first time I have ever tried, but I started the pepakura helmet!!! So bear with me, this first one is mainly for practice and learning what I need to do for when I try to make a better one to actually use for the sculpt. Z-man, I will try to reply to your PM's as soon as I can!

Hmm....alright, some things I have noticed so far.

1. This thing is massive

2. its too big for pepakura

3. I cant see this working out as I had foreseen..

Right now, I have the front completed and the sides. I have been following the same method of constructing it and its all been smooth until now. I dont know if its me, or if some where in the program's unfolding process, some numbers got mixed up, but the back portion is starting to appear to not look right at all.

I'll keep working at it, but Im not really sure if it will be worth it to try this for the final go ahead..

Yea, Im just going to sculpt it completly. There are just too many hidden poly's that I can see will be an issue if I try to pursue this method, and I dont think this will work well just because of it's immense size. The crazy thing is that the face still "feels" too small to me. Im just going to stick to my original plan, but I will keep the face as a reference.

Alright, well here's the results of my boredom over a 24 hour period. I spent probably 9 hours total cutting/buiding this. Again, this is my first time ever doing this papercraft. I used just the materials I had available, none that I would want to use really. Just regular printing paper, and a large roll of white duck tape. I would have wanted to use cardstock/firmer paper and either a glue stick or elmer's glue, but had neither.

Okay, this was also just for practice and to guage and evaluate what Im going to do with it. Its NOT PERFECT NOR A FINAL PIECE! For the record, this thing is massive and can comfortably fit a basketball in it's dome perfectly.

Now to the pics. I took a sharpy to it so you get an idea of what everything on this mess is. (NOTE: young children and people with severe heart problems should avoid looking at all costs!)

The right side mouth appears narrower, but thats due to the sharpy

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

I think the overall shape came out alright, I definatly will make a second one which I will *attempt* to make cleaner and no tape, just glue.

From this, Im starting to consider that I may be able to try using it as a base again, I would just need to FG the inside, but Im considering even making a plaster mold of it and casting it in bondo or resin, so that I can work with a solid mass, but Im not sure yet. So thats whats going on right now. Thanks

-tubachris
(Sweet....I made the first known Pep DT helmet..rofl)

You don't necessarily need to fiberglass the thing, you could hot-glue the inside. Go look at the 405 site to see what I mean, might be cheaper. I am going to also try some other ideas I have for makeing these things rigid, I will let you know how well they work.As to gluing parts, its a pain to glue these things, I am going to try a new method later today but I don't know how thats going to work out.

Looks a bit big to me too, let me know how it sizes up to the TK helmet when you get a chance. If we need to still shrink it let me know.

And just FYI card-stock is a pain to fold small parts with but scoring it with a pen seems to make it easier.

Foam experiments with in the day or tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.

You don't necessarily need to fiberglass the thing, you could hot-glue the inside. Go look at the 405 site to see what I mean, might be cheaper. I am going to also try some other ideas I have for makeing these things rigid, I will let you know how well they work.As to gluing parts, its a pain to glue these things, I am going to try a new method later today but I don't know how thats going to work out.

Looks a bit big to me too, let me know how it sizes up to the TK helmet when you get a chance. If we need to still shrink it let me know.

And just FYI card-stock is a pain to fold small parts with but scoring it with a pen seems to make it easier.

Foam experiments with in the day or tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.

Yea, I read up on that method. After building alot of object with styrene, I know how much it uses lol.

As for the size, I wanted to try to get a pic of it on my head. Theres alooooooot of room in there. I swear, you can probaby build a micro AC unit with vent ducts rofl. As big as it is, it "feels" right to me. I would say its a bit bigger then an FX. The face plate is sorta shaped differentyl as well as the helmet "tubes."

But like I said, it feels right for someone my size, at least. Can probably fit a flatscreen plasma and a couch....hmm..good idea..

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back