Australian Jango Progress

Hey Guys, thanks for the kind words, I'm working on getting it done!
RunJEDIrun has started & finished his Jango while I have been toying with Helmets, but I think the finish is near.

I have been spending some time on the edges of the helmet, evening-out the thickness of the cast & beefing it up slightly.
Still more sanding to be done, the pics will explain it better.

I have also ground-down a few Chicago screws, cant find the posts Cruzer recommended so I'll see how I go.

More soon.

Edge-Buildup-1.jpg

Edge-Buildup-3.jpg

Edge-Buildup-4.jpg

Edge-Buildup-6.jpg

Edge-Buildup-7.jpg

Edge-Buildup-8.jpg

Visor-Bolts-3.jpg

Visor-Bolts-1.jpg

This is definitly one of the best fett outfits I have seen. Good chance one of the most expensive in the end too lol. Great job cant wait to see the finished product!

Long time, no post....
Very little spare time of late.

I did get a chance to do some work on the visor.

Still some tweaking to go, but close.

V2.jpg

V1.jpg

Thanks Cruzer.
(OK, I have shaped my Visor a little further since, but now its done!)

I have also sanded-back my cold cast helmet, but I haven't polished it yet.
It looks great form a distance, but when you get close, not so much.
Its my first Cold Cast item, so I'm feeling my way on this one.
There are a few problem areas where I haven't been able to sand-out imperfections without having hit the darker 2nd CC coat.
I have included a few pics.

The funny thing is, I can get a better finish with RubnBuff, it's finish stands-up to the closest of inspections.

Anyway, have a few pics!

CC-1.jpg

CC-2.jpg

CC-3.jpg

CC-4.jpg

CC-5.jpg

CC-6.jpg

CC-7.jpg

In my experience with cold casting, the darker areas can be caused by excessive sanding or insufficient aluminum content in the mixture, and is more prevalent on vertical surfaces when casting. However, you're not going to get the accustomed shiny finish that's produced with Rub n' Buff because it's a wax. The cold cast will be more dull and should have the screen accurate abraised metal look to it.

Regardless, I don't want you to be stuck with a helmet your not happy with. Feel free to return the helmet for a full refund. I can also offer to cast you another helmet with a higher aluminum content if you want to see if you get better results. Either way, just let me know.(y)

In my experience with cold casting, the darker areas can be caused by excessive sanding or insufficient aluminum content in the mixture, and is more prevalent on vertical surfaces when casting. However, you're not going to get the accustomed shiny finish that's produced with Rub n' Buff because it's a wax. The cold cast will be more dull and should have the screen accurate abraised metal look to it.

Totaly agree with it!

Regardless, I don't want you to be stuck with a helmet your not happy with. Feel free to return the helmet for a full refund. I can also offer to cast you another helmet with a higher aluminum content if you want to see if you get better results. Either way, just let me know.(y)

Hey Cruzer, just to be clear, your gear ROCKS!
I Have no problem with your craftsmanship & I thank you for your offer, but I'll stick with this Helmet.

Its just the close-up look of the CC that is letting me down, see 3rd pic in my previous post. I can RubnBuff a much more consistent finish & dull it down as needed.
Does anyone else with CC items know/see what I'm talking about?

I found it to not be as uniform of an appearance in some places, but it grows on you. When next to R&B I feel it looks far better. The variations give it a "real world" look. I prefer the cold cast look now.

Other projects have held this up, but I decided it was time to get back to my Jango helmet.
First pic shows the painted helmet before the rub n' buff.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343554290.641443.jpg

Then comes the masking.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343554345.080854.jpg

Rub n' buffed!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343554431.304867.jpg

And Pinstripes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343554469.526626.jpg

Here is a pic showing how the visor bolts in.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343554565.042259.jpg

Next up the gasket skirt & weathering.

Took a couple pics, one outdoor showing the paint color in natural light and another showing the RF graphic reflected in the helmet's visor.
Hope you enjoy!
Also, today I bought the acrylic paints to start the weathering, so probably next week for that job.

Cheers!

DSC_0648.gif

DSC_0655-copy.gif

lookin good mate

just wondering what colours/paints you used? I had Cruzer send me some colour samples ages back and had some paint spray cans made up but never been 100% satisfied.

your colours look pretty close!

Hey Guys,
Westrooper, the paints I used were sent from the US, Rust-Oleum Royal Blue & Krylon Short Cuts Ocean Blue (not available in Australia).
Maybe someone from the US could inform you of their current availability.

Trout, I made the RF pic in Photoshop & transferred it to old style (photochemical) slide film. You can download the pic I used from post 20 in this thread.
Posts 11, 33 & 57 detail the RF build. If you need more specific info just let me know.

Seeker, you sir are the hallmark of Jango builders, thanks for the great feedback.

I believe my helmet gasket is in production, so all thats left to find is a purple balaclava. Anyone got any leads on this?
Also, if anyone has spotted anything I might have missed (or needs adjusting) be sure to chime in.
Weathering starts in a few days....watched Seeker's weathering video over & over, must summon courage....

I have attached my Chucko helmet gasket, its a really nice piece.
It took some time to get the installation right.
I used a band of steel to help keep the gasket snug with the helmet.
All I require now is a neck cover and this build will be complete.

Gasket-1.jpg

Gasket-2.jpg

Gasket-3.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back