Australian Jango Progress

looks great man. I tell ya though, the only thing i saw is that you're gonna have a heck of a time masking off that helmet to paint it with the rub n buff already on the dome and cheeks. otherwise, the whole seup is gorgeous!

Yea, Be careful when masking off the rub and buffed sections, Ive come to a realization that the masking tape will affect the shine. I found that after I pulled the masking tape off, that on the adheasive side, that it pulls some of the rubb and buff off with it.

-tubachris
(Spent countless hours trying to fix the R&B)

you're gonna have a heck of a time masking off that helmet to paint it with the rub n buff already on the dome and cheeks.

True abntroop, although I hear its better to Rub'n Buff, Paint & then re-Rub'n Buff the effected areas. Otherwise you end-up with R'nB all over the paint-work. Does all that make sense?

I Just got a PM from BKBT, it turns-out my Leather Holsters, Pouches & Girthbelt were made by BKBT himself! That puts my Jango to about 40% BKBT created. This is a good thing in my book.

So the New Up-dated parts list is:

Helmet - BKBT
Boots - Reinone, excellent reproduction boots.
Jumpsuit - Bobamaker (Jango style)
Boot, shin, Thigh, Cod & Back Armor - JD
Chest & Shoulder Armor - BKBT
Knee Armor - BKBT
Leather Girth Belt - BKBT
Ammo Pouches - BKBT
Holsters - BKBT
Jet Pack Harness - I think BKBT
Leather Flack Vest - Loanstar
Gauntlets - Man of War, 2006 run.
Metal Details - Dark Side & Russ Replica
All Metal Blasters - E-bay
RF electronics - Hyperdine Labs
Interior Helmet Kit - Marrow Sun
Arena Jet Pack - MLC
Jango neck seal - Not yet.

Jono!

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, the reason i shy away from the rub n buff, paint rub n buff, is that you're making more work for yourself. the rub n buff needs a surface smoother than a babys butt to work on, if you do it, paint and then the tape pulls the rub n buff away that leaves you with high and low points making it even harder to achieve that fine shine. wayy easier to take your time, sand the heck out of it, paint each color and give the paint plenty of cure time, then mask it off and rub n buff (thus saving you from applying rub n buff onto your paint). either way, just different ways of doing the same thing. i find that it's like everything else in this hobby, if you rush, it shows. theres no way to circumvent taking your time and doing it right the 1st time, otherwise you spend more time fixing it :lol:

WOW!! Looking great bro!! I really like how you've documented everything! I wish I'd done that! Thought I'd remember all the parts, not just the majority! You've done a great, great job getting it all together, and I have no doubt it will look Fantastic when you're finished!!

-Rex

Thanks for the words of encouragement Rex, couldn't have gotten Jango to where he is without TDH!

I attached the boot armor today, looks cool! Made the straps with elastic & leather, held in place with snaps.

And here are MORE RF shots. I shortened the RF along the red line to bring it more in line with the BKBT Jango RF. Note the lack of any seam lines!!!:)
Its ready to paint.

So if the consensus is to paint & then Rub'n Buff a helmet, I'm happy to strip this one back.

Any other votes on the paint first Vs. Rub'n Buff first debate?
Jono!

BOOT At 1.jpg

BOOT At 2.jpg

Old RF.jpg

New RF.jpg

Everything is looking good. Keep it up.

As far as the rub n buff then paint or paint then rub n buff question I would just try to paint it now that you have got it looking so good. The tape might change a few areas, but it would depend on how you tape things off. If you use some newpaper and just expose a small strip of the tape over the edge of the paper then it wouldn't mess up very much if any of the rub n buff. Also, if you weather the helmet it will cover up some of the areas if there are any. If you plan on using all tape then it might mess it up more. It can't hurt to try painting it now.

Hey Jono,

Use a low tack painters tape & it won't mess up the r n b. I also use a 1/8 low tack vinyl tape to get crisp lnes on the curves. It is used for professional automotive painting. If any area does get messed, you can
r n b that spot & weathering blends everything together nicely.

Many thanks for the kind words.

BKBT - I'll give that method a go, sounds like a plan.

GCN & Darasuum - I learnt all the R&B tricks here at THD!

MOW - Thanks Christian, you made an amazing set of Jango Gauntlets to work on.

SPIDEY - Thanks Bud!

Speaking of Helmets....here is a photo of my installed RF image. The interior lighting looks much better to the eye, but the camera has added contrast to the image. Also there is a top clear screen to go over the image after the RF has been painted.
Anyway, enjoy!

RF pic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks BKBT, I'm very happy with the result. I look forward to a Picture of my finished helmet with that RF pic reflected in the visor...that should look cool!

So progress report time...

33 studs later, the BKBT chest armor is attached to my Loanstar vest!
Thanks to BKBT for the great armor, Loanstar for the great vest & Cruzer for your pics on how to attach it.
Here are a couple pics on my Mannequin.

I also did MORE work on my RF top. (Obsess much?)
I set in a bolt & nut to attach it to the RF stalk. I also counter-sunk the screw so it sits flush with the RF stalk.
I'll post a pic next time I have a digital camera handy.

Cheers!

Armor-Attachment.jpg

Armor-Attachment2.jpg

The RF pic is a photograph taken on slide film & cut to shape.
I tried printing on the ovehead sheets (with all the right gear & printer Overhead sheets) but the resulting resolution & saturation was very poor.
Good old slide film is the way to go. I used a whole roll bracketing the exposure & zooming out a little between shots to get the needed size.

The light behind it is the 3 white LEDs shown earlier in this thread.

(y)

Maaaan that rocks(y):cheers

attachment.jpg

Speaking of Helmets....here is a photo of my installed RF image. The interior lighting looks much better to the eye, but the camera has added contrast to the image. Also there is a top clear screen to go over the image after the RF has been painted.
Anyway, enjoy!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back