Help with urethane

MUNKRAWK

Active Hunter
I am sculpting and casting a Superman Returns S. I know that it was cast in urethane. I have never worked with it before and would like to know a few things.

1. Where is the best place to get it? Can I get all I need at Home Depot?

2. Does urethane Resin need a hardener? (Can someone tell me exactly what I need to cast?)

3. Any downfalls to this method?

Any help would be greatly appreciated people. Thank you.

1. not at home depot. If you don't have a plastics supplier in you area, you order on line at smooth on.com. At least look at their webpage and get an idea of the number of choices you have. Most 2-component chemicals are mixed by weight. If you don't own a scale, you might want to look for a product that mixes by volume.

2. Yes. Urethane has 2 components, A & B. They usually mix 1:1 by weight.

3. Be sure to use a mold release, or your mold and part have become one.

Skip the foam latex until you have lots of money and a degree in chemistry.

There are flexible urethane foams, if you want an easier route. They mix similar to previous answer.

Are there different kinds of urethane? is there a specific product I should get? Does Urethane resin have any flex to it when it is cured?

Thanks for your help by the way!
Jeffro

plastics have a shore hardness scale. D scale for ridged, and A for flexible.

the lower the number, the softer the material.

The best way to determine what you want is to request some cured samples.

You want Smooth On Smooth-cast 300!!! You can die it any color you want with Smooth On pigment. Its slightly flexable but very strong and holds its shape. I think it has a shore hardness of 60. Its what most of the props you see sold are made of. Its an easy 100% A / 100% B mix ratio and cures quickly. Quickly enough to do a slush cast with it if you wish to. I think it runs about $25 for a 2 quart kit and $60 for a 2 gallon kit.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back