Installing Ear-Pieces:

Dha Syntir

Active Hunter
I'm just about ready to mount the ear-pieces on my helmet and was just trying to find the best method of doing so. It would be nice to be able to screw them on so that it's easy to take them off to repaint sometime in the future. Or should I just epoxy or hot glue them directly to the helmet and be done with it as it won't be much more work to tape off the ear-pieces to repaint. Are there any more methods I've not thought of? And how long of a screw should I use so as it doesn't go all the way through the ear-piece? I guess that varies from helmet to helmet as the wall thickness couldn't be uniform with as many helmet makers out there these days...One last coat of paint and I think I'll be ready to affix them, finally!

Has anyone else used Bondo on the inside of their helmet around the t visor so that it'll give the epoxy more surface area to stick to, so it won't come off etc? It seems like it'll make life that much easier for me to put in the visor, which has been one of those tasks I hate to undertake...

Well me personally?I used to screw them on, but for my latest helmet.I just gooped em and they hold really nicely.Just tape em down overnight and you will be in like flynn.
Repainting would be no problem, just mask em off when you plan to do that like you said.lot easier than disassembling everything everytime.

I was leaning towards epoxy/Goop or some other suitable adhesive, now I'm likely going to glue em and be done with em. That's yet another problem solved with minimal amounts of cursing-I'm definitely on a roll today folks! :lol:

I've heard of folks using magnets for different applications, but have never thought of using them myself. I have a set of powerful magnets that I wouldn't be concerned that the ear pieces would fall off at an unfortunate point, but they weigh about ten pounds each! Imagine carrying that around on your head all day long...:lol:

Now it seems you've gotten my attention about using magnets. I wish there was a thread dealing with applications for magnets in our little hobby here, and pics/tutorials etc to show those of us who've not worked with them before, how to maybe use them on our own stuff...I still reign champion of the run-on sentence!!!:lol:

Now it seems you've gotten my attention about using magnets. I wish there was a thread dealing with applications for magnets in our little hobby here, and pics/tutorials etc to show those of us who've not worked with them before, how to maybe use them on our own stuff...I still reign champion of the run-on sentence!!!:lol:

I can do a walkthrough this weekend on the MLC2 I am in the middle of painting.

For the side pieces, I recommend using nuts and bolts, as outlined in SpideyFett's MSH2 thread. This method requires a Forstner drill bit to counter-sink the bolts into the ear pieces.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=13855

For the earcap, I recommend using 'Power Magnets' found at Hobby Lobby. A few of us got a chance to work with them this past weekend, and they are tough little suckers! They come in a package of 6, at 1/2" in diameter. A 1/2" Forstner bit makes a perfect hole to counter-sink the magnets. Instead of using magnets for the base, I used 1/2" metal washers (thinner, yet still powerful enough to hold the earcap in place!).

http://www.craftsetc.com/Store/ShowProduct.aspx?p=179762

magnet_01.jpg

magnet_02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just Christmas shopping (ugh!) and happened into the crafts section of Walmart for more paint, brushes, Goop (which I finally found!), etc and walked by the same magnets you were using above. They're Promag 3/4 inch diameter magnets and wondered if they'd work to hold on the earcap. I wasn't certain whether they'd by strong enough, or at least as strong as those you guys are using...I think they were $1.37 for an 8 pack of magnets-now I just need to buy a Forstner bit, unless I can find my drill bit stash. Wish me luck!

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back