Another cardboard boba bucket

Never ending Fett : I'll take some pics when I get a moment, but the cross sections are simply the same as the original two but trimmed slightly and then placed at diagonals.

Honus : Thanks mate, it was your origianl posting that pushed me forward to doing this, as even looking at the templates I was thinking maybe I couldn't do it or that it'd look completely pants. But seeing your pics and the instructable made me stop thinking and start doing. So cheers guys.

Just thought I'd bung up a few more progress pics, asI've tried and tested the body filler, fibreglass bridging compound and polyfilla. I plumped for the polyfilla as it sands and shapes far more easily than the other two, but even so still needs a hefty amount of elbow grease.

DSC00340.jpg

This is with the polyfilla app,ied but prior to sanding

DSC00343.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

These are after the first round of sanding and prior to extra filling and sanding. It's not looking too bad but there are a couple of divots that need filling and a bit of a lump at the front of the dome that needs extra sanding. Hopefully these will prove of benefit to some of those people who are giving this a try or thinking about it. Thanks for looking.

Oh and I almost forgot

DSC00340a2.jpg

here's the inside of the dome, witht the extra struts to strengthen it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers guys, Well I've had a looksee over the dome this morning in daylight, and I've a bit more filling and sanding to do before I can call this segment done. The good thing about naural light is you can spot the hills and hollows far easier than under artificial light. Whilst the filler has been drying I've worked some more on the earcaps. I've even been working on a way to make the range finder pop up and down too <manually though as anything electronic is out of my field for the moment>

As for making this stuff,

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=10497

There's the thread that has Wizardofflight's fantastic blueprints on. Just give it a go, you only need some card a pair of scissors and a sharp craft knife, a hot glue gun and some body filler or in my case PolyFilla <an alternative to spackle paste for anyone outside the US> and a lot of patience and elbow grease. As I said just give it a go, you'll be surprised what you can produce.

i already tried 2 times doing it... but i dont have the materials i used a paper that ddnt woked very well her are the links..
dsc01526dr9.jpg

dsc01525ke8.jpg

dsc01527xd0.jpg

dsc01529xq4.jpg

dsc01533ra9.jpg

if u can gimme any suggestion... im going to make a new one o/

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I think you've done a pretty good job with the materials you have. Perhaps you shopuld try sticking as few sheets together to thicken them up, use white school glue <PVA. as it's flexible. This way you'll have thicker paper and still be able to bend it. Or if you eat cronflakes and the like us the card from those type of cereal packets. Anyway I'm off to do a bit of sanding, pass the gas mask :lol:

Well after another hour and a bit sanding and filling, here's the results.

DSC00346a.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

I plonked my Don Post nect to it it have a look and compare. I never noticed just how lumpy bumpy the dome on that one was until now. Anyway All I have to do now is work out where the dent goes and the shape and size it needs to be. But until then I'm chopping up some sheet styrene I had lying around for the range findeer stalk. Comments and crits, especially on the dome are most welcome as I find the more you wrok on something the more hyper critical you can get. So impartial views appreciated.

Well having had a natter with my mate, who is a Boba fett nutter but I suppose that's par for the course having had Jeremy Bulloch in a couple of his films. He pointed out that the top fo the dome was a tad too rounded. So was back to weilding the medium grit sandpaper I sanded the top down a tad.

newdomeshape.jpg

Luckily where I take the pics of my stuff allows me to take pictures from almost the same place. The red line is the previous height and angle of curvature of the dome the green is the new one. Bit more like it I think and he agreed too.

looking great so far. great comparison btwn your scratch build and the DP. It's good to see people that can take constructive criticism and act on it to improve their work. (it's always welcome on anything you see from me anyways.)

keep it up!

Couldn't agree more, it's effective constructive critisism that enables you to expand your skill base, I've dabbled in FX work on and off for a couple of years now and had work critiqued on by proffessional FX artisits and believe me it really helps even when the point out that your stuff is poop.

Despite working hard at work and doing several FX commissions I've still managed time to re work one of the ear caps.

DSC00361.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

I've re worked it because it now....

DSC00364.jpg

DSC00362.jpg

moves up and down <albeit manually>

Once I've filled and sanded it, I'll be gluing the inner half onto the helmet.

DSC00365.jpg

This is in bits, Looks a bit rough, but I'll be cleaning it up soon as I get a moment to catch my breath:D

I made the centre of the ear cap first, you know the bit that makes the flat section on the top of it up the middle of it, layering the acrd shapes until it was the right height. Then taking the templates from Wizard of flight, I cut the outersection of the earcap out and cut it in half. Then I simply shaped one half to the ear cap and used sticky tape to keep it from moving, then I took the other half and attached that the same way and shaped it around the earcap. If you look cloesly you can see a triangualr dart in the outer part of the earcap. That was cut out to enable the card to curve around and form the outer covering. Once that was shaped and secured with tape I cut out a trinagle of card and glued it in place. Then removing the sticky tape i then glued the outer section to the base of the cap. It gives a cleaner line all around the arch. Using a bit of filler on theis it should hide the rougher edges and conceal the dart. Hope this helps. If not let me know and I'll take a few pics of the earcap and maybe make another as a reference for those making other card buckets.

Well I'm finally about finished on the build now.

DSC00410.jpg

Both ear caps are done now, though the left one <right in the pic> is missing the final piece of the foot but it's been done and secured. The range finder is now complete too just not had a moment to take a piccy of that insitu yet.

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00412.jpg

DSC00413.jpg

The dent is not looking too bad, the dome around the front just needs some more sanding after the brow arrows are cut, Not done them yet as I'm beat and didn't want to tempt fate, nor risk a trip to accident and emergency having sliced myself with a craft knife:lol: . Hope you guys like, and again any comments or crits fire away.

The build is now complete, save for the clear bit in the range finder and the cheek mole which is waiting to ble glued on. The right ear cap has gone through a bit of a revamp too and I've added some struts to help secure it in place. I'm thinking of molding the rangefinder satlk and adding a small metal tube to the centre of the mold before I actually cast anything, this will enable me to ake a hollow stalk for adding wires in later for led's and lights and other whiuzzbangs.

DSC00440.jpg

DSC00441.jpg

DSC00439.jpg

That's the revamped ear cap,

DSC00442.jpg

DSC00443.jpg

there's the range finder and stalk, they both come apart and can be mlded seperately.

DSC00444.jpg

DSC00445.jpg

and there it is all together, I also reworked the dent too, as I wasn't happy with the location of the dent or it's size either, now it looks more like it.

DSC00435.jpg

DSC00436.jpg

and a couple of daft shots, one with range finder up and one with it down.

Well after what seems like an absolute dogs age <which it has> As real life and a bout of filming intervended. I finally got around to putting a coat of primer on my lid, mainly to highlight if anything needed tweaking or sanding further. Which it did on the mandibles.

DSC00705.jpg

I also made a template for the visor from some flexible plastic sheeting that you get for overhead projectors. Next to fill the gaps sand a tad more and then paint in ROTJ colours fingers crossed I can get it done soon:)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back