Anyone know about tropical fish??

Callista

Active Hunter
Hi, I have just got a new fishtake cos my old one leaked (not good to keep the water in!!) but my four new harlequins commited suicide :cry so I want tol get some new fish since I tend not to have good run with harlequins but the tank does not have any lights (it is next to a window so does get natural light) Does anyone know of any other tripical fish that can survive in a msaller tank with low light levels??
:cheers
Zoe

How small is the tank? Clowns (actually a lot of fish) can survive in pretty small tanks. Light will be an issue, but if it is right next to a window you should be ok. You'll need a good filtration system on a smaller tank though.

What size tank? And when you say Harlequins, I am assuming you are talking about tetras (fresh water). Tetras are a little bit tricky to deal with like other tropicals. And yes, tetras are suicidal. I used to keep a bunch of neons, black neons, and serpaes. I don't know how many times I found little tetra corpses on my carpet the next morning when I went to feed them. LOL!

Gouramis are a little bit sturdier though. But you need to make sure you get a pair of Gouramis. But you also need to make sure you keep the tank clear of algae if your going to keep them in sunlight. Get a small algae eater for the tank. He'll keep the sides of the tank clean, don't put chemicals on the tank to keep it clean, it can do harm to the fish. And make sure you have a good filtration system as well.

The sturdiest fish I've ever had are fantail goldfish. I had one that lived for 2 years in a 10 gallon tank with no light. And he got HUGE!! LOL! I got him and a little playmate. LOL! All I did was feed him and his little buddy until his little buddy croaked about a year later. All they are are fancy carp. LOL! Those things can live in raw sewage. LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the info, my sis is gunna try and get me some mini rainbow fish which are very nice...and you can put clown fish in a tropical tank...they are marine fish!! (and they are even harder to keep!!)
My twto catfish are happy to have the x-tra space, they keep swimming up and down the sides of the tank together...I love catfish they are the bestess fish in the world!!
Thanks!!!
Zoe

Thanks for all the info, my sis is gunna try and get me some mini rainbow fish which are very nice...and you can put clown fish in a tropical tank...they are marine fish!! (and they are even harder to keep!!)
My twto catfish are happy to have the x-tra space, they keep swimming up and down the sides of the tank together...I love catfish they are the bestess fish in the world!!
Thanks!!!
Zoe

Hey Zoe

I use to keep loads of tropical. Why not try something like neons tetras. Those are fairly hardy

Are you wanting to keep a salt water or fresh water tank? If you're wanting clowns, then you're going to need a salt water tank and they need quite a bit of attention!! Trust me! I've had salt, brackish, and fresh water tanks. But I'm going to assume that you're keeping a fresh water tank because you're talking about catfish. Yes, they are cool. And they are also helpful in that they are the little garbage disposals/ vacuum cleaners of the tank. LOL! I had two of them in mine as well. I called them Hoover and Eureka. LOL!

Fresh water is the best, especially if your only wanting to keep a small tank and wanting to keep it in natural light. If you're wanting to keep a salt water tank, the smallest that anyone will recommend is a 20 gallon but the salinity, acidity, and temp has to be very closely guarded in that.

You don't have to keep that close an eye on that with a fresh water tank and anyone can keep a decent 10 gallon tank going pretty well with good filtration. Heck, I did and I neglected mine for a couple days at times. And my 10 gallon tank survived for several years until I had to break it down when I went off to college. And I had to give away the fish I had. LOL!

Sniffer, you're talking about a Plecostamus. Those are algae eaters. The only problem with those is that they can grow to become over 14 inches long!! LOL! I had one that was only about an inch and a half when I bought him, but grew to be about 8 inches when I broke my tank down when I went off to college, and they are not fun to catch!! They are slow when they are meandering around along the bottom of the tank, but when when they are being chased, they are faster than a bullet!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back