Mrgr8ness jet pack progress thread

mrgr8ness

Well-Known Hunter
Mrgr8ness jetpack progress thread

Finally decided to get going on my jet pack. Its a fiberglass Ruffkintoys. Started putting on the base colors-

jet%20pack.gif

I think the blue is off a bit.....Oh wait, thats tape!!!! ;) Lookin good so far!!!!!
D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, guys my progress has been very slow. Trying to build too many things at once:lol: Ok, finally got the base colors done. Its very tedious work to mask off and paint all the areas. Still need to do the rocket and thrusters-

IMG_0761.gif

IMG_0762.gif

oh man that is a thing of beauty. What colour blue did you use? I have all my colours sorted except for the blue :(

well done on the JP though....exceptional (y)

Looking good bro, I think the blue is a bit dark, but it could be the lighting.

I used Walmart royal blue, as many others have used. The blue looks a little dark in the pictures, maybe even just a tad dark in real life too. I will have to look at it again. May have to mist something lighter over top if anyone has a suggestion. I used Krylon satin burgandy for the red, same as my gauntlets. Krylon flat white for white. I had trouble finding the yellow. I finally found a color called Yellow Ochre in a craft paint, and had to thin it and airbrush it on. It appears to be a perfect match. I found another color called Antique Gold that was also very close.

Hmm I went through a bunch of progress threads. DarthMiller's thread showed the blue to be almost exactly the same color as the painters tape. After it was weathered, it looked perfect. Wes, the blue on yours looks very good as well, would you say it is close to the painters tape? I have a million bottles of acylic paints from when I did Warhammer, so I should have something to match, but I need to find the right shade. This will be a pain to redo, but I believe you are right that it is too dark. Better to fix it now, so I will be happy in the end. Thanks!

For the blue on my jet pack I used Tamiya colour spray can "Brilliant Blue, TS-44" It's lighter than the blue you have used but once weatherd up looks pretty good. Theres a pic under the "Jet Pack comparisons" thread.

i used seeker's jango colors as a base:
newjangojet packcolors.jpg

newjangojet packcolors.jpg

then misted over the blue with some navy / black to make it less jango-ish. i was thinking of it as the same type of pack, just years and years older.

MRG8,

The correct color is Floquil "Light Blue".

It should be pretty close to the masking tape blue. But in the end its what you like. The yellow is a pretty good match too.

Ok, I went to my local train hobby shop-only place around with paints. I used Polly Scale D&H Avon blue, and a dusting of craft acrylic Bright Blue, made by Apple Barrel I believe. I also took the time to cut out the exhaust slots on the bottom of the jet pack. I may do a CO2 exhaust project someday. Looks a lot better-

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

Thanks for the looking out Wes. I gladly accept constructive critism, in order to better my costume:cheers

No prob man, it will darken up to that dirty blue very well when you start weathering it.

MRG8,

The correct color is Floquil "Light Blue".

It should be pretty close to the masking tape blue. But in the end its what you like. The yellow is a pretty good match too.

You can also use Polly Scale "Light Blue". Rogue Studios said they're exactly the same paint, just one's acrylic and ones' enamel. I used one of those on my jet pack, forgot which. :lol:

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back