My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE*

never ending fett

Active Hunter
Many thanks go to Alan for his templates and to Honus for the inspiration that a cardboard bucket can be done, and done well.

The work you see here in the first post was all done in a few hours on a saturday. I'll try and explain step by step what each picture is and how it was done for those who have never attempted a scratch build with Alan's templates and maybe it can be used as a "how to" guide to go along with Honus' guide.

* FYI to help match things up, descriptions of each picture will be below the photo
IMG_1110.jpg

I made the mistake of using packing tape for most of the helmet, which you will see in most of the pictures. In this case I would recommend using tape because this inner form gets removed later, using tape made it easier to take out.

IMG_1111.jpg

A top down view of the same step: both of which show the helmet base and the inner form.

IMG_1112.jpg

Inner surface and dome base attached. To curve the pieces, first I attached them end to end, then I rolled them like a newspaper, if that makes any sense.

IMG_1113.jpg

angle 2

IMG_1114.jpg

angle 3

IMG_1115.jpg

angle 4

IMG_1116.jpg

outer surface attached, inner surface cut into to make room for the cheek, 1 piece of the cheek attached.

IMG_1117.jpg

angle 2

IMG_1118.jpg

angle 3

IMG_1119.jpg

learning from the first side, I traced the cheek onto the inner surface to be cut out before attaching anything.

IMG_1120.jpg

inner surface cut out.

IMG_1121.jpg

attaching the outer survace

IMG_1122.jpg

continuing to attach the outer surface

IMG_1123.jpg

outer surface attached, cheek attached.

IMG_1124.jpg

angle 2

IMG_1126.jpg

brain surgery, Hannible Lecter style. Needed to open the lid to ge the other parts of the cheek in.

IMG_1128.jpg

removed to bottom, leaving a ring to hold the form, removed the inner form pieces, which folded and popped out easily due to the fact that I was using tape. attached the 2 pieces of the cheeks together and attached it to the upper cheek area and to the bottom ring.

IMG_1129.jpg

angle 2

IMG_1129.jpg

without the flash to see the 3D form a little better w/o flash washing it out.

IMG_1132.jpg

looking down through the top

IMG_1133.jpg

dome form cut and attached, Kinda. I made a second dome base, so that the dome and the rest of the bucket are seperate pieces, to make working on the inner parts easier.

IMG_1134.jpg

angle 2

IMG_1135.jpg

here you can see the 2 seperate pieces

IMG_1136.jpg

my formerly headless manaquin now has the start of his head.

IMG_1137.jpg

angle 2

IMG_1138.jpg

angle 3

I have since completed the dome, taking pictures along the way of course. Pictures have not been uploaded yet.

More to come.

That is exactly the way I did my mock-up!! Nice work!! Thanks for setting up a tutorial, I don't know when I'll ever get to it!!

Alan

thanks for the comments guys!

on with the dome

IMG_1142.jpg

this may not have been the best way to do it, but here's what I did: I taped the 3 pieces together then started attaching the triangles starting at the front on piece 1, all without being attached to the dome base or the dome form.

IMG_1143.jpg

angle 2

IMG_1144.jpg

angle 3

IMG_1145.jpg

finished and resting on the rest of the helmet.

IMG_1149.jpg

the inside view: As you can see, there's just the one piece of tape on the inside, I did all of the taping on the outside. I have since gone back and hotglued the seems, the dome base and the dome form, then removed the tape carefully and smeared elmers white glue over almost the whole outside of the dome.

IMG_1150.jpg

angle 2 of the inside

IMG_1171.jpg

and one shot of the helmet with dome resting on top, unattached, on the otherwise headless manaquin.

Great work on the dome. Gotta question for ya: do the traingles all come to a point once they are placed bended? In a few of the pictures, it looks like the top of the dome is pointed, but in the "angle 3" picture, it looks smooth. Just wonderin' if I am seein' things or if you made an adjustment.

Great work on the dome. Gotta question for ya: do the traingles all come to a point once they are placed bended? In a few of the pictures, it looks like the top of the dome is pointed, but in the "angle 3" picture, it looks smooth. Just wonderin' if I am seein' things or if you made an adjustment.

It did come to a point. At least at first. I put a piece of tape temporarily at the center on the inside to help bring it all together. The top now very smooth after the dome form pieces were glued into place, or once the top was glued to the form, depending on how you think about it.

I'll get some shots of the inside of the dome with the forms in place when I get the chance.

I haven't worked on the helmet for a few days, so I haven't taken any additional photos. If you have an specific parts of the helmet you want me to photograph, let me know and I'll try and get them for ya.(y)

****UPDATE****

IMG_1192.jpg

here you can see the dome section before i started coating/sealing it with Mod-Podge, which you can see in the picture. The dome form pieces have been glued in at this point which flattens out the top making it less pointy

IMG_1193.jpg

more of the same, with less flash

IMG_1194.jpg

started sealing it. The stuff goes on white and dries clear.

IMG_1196.jpg

Here I've cut off the outer surface around the back to get the ridge, however the cardboard I used was not thick enough to create the ridge

IMG_1199.jpg

very washed out view, but i'm inserting 2 more layers of cardboard between the inner and outer surfaces to get a bigger ridge

IMG_1200.jpg

adding the layers

IMG_1202.jpg

sealing the helmet

IMG_1208.jpg

No details in this shot due to the flash washing it out, but i was going for the outline anyways, to show the form of the top of the dome: no point.

IMG_1211.jpg

I couldn't find an exact shape of the dent, so I kinda winged it (that would be something to add to the templates Alan, the location and shape/size of both the arrows and the dent.) I took the 25mm by 25mm measurements listed on tk401's site and the general shape as shown in the painting stensils progress photoed by AFettFullofDollars traced it onto the helmet in my best guess location. Then I poked a hole in the center, and cut from the center to the corners. After that I just stuck my finger in the dent to push it in then started using hot glue on the outside and inside (not shown) let it cool a little then rounded it a little with the cap of a sharpie pen.

IMG_1213.jpg

angle 2

IMG_1214.jpg

dome resting on the rest of the bucket

IMG_1216.jpg

angle 2

IMG_1217.jpg

angle 3

I am currently adding more layers of Mod Podge to seal it, Mod Podge is sandable so once I've got a good number of layers built up, I can sand it and prime it

I also still need to make the keyhole section as well as the ears. I would also like to put a metal ring on the inside of the rim as well as the base of the dome to help keep it's shape.

Great work. I think the dome is just a tad too high, though.

that may be the case, or it could be the camera angle...

i'm not sure what i could have done wrong if it is too high... the dome is already a good 1/4 inch smaller than the rest of the helmet all the way around, so if i shrunk the dome template any more that ridge would be even bigger.

how too high does it look to you? I'd rather change it sooner than later.

****UPDATE****

IMG_1230.jpg

keyhole setup started

IMG_1234.jpg

from the pictures I've looked at, it looks like the keyholes slant inward into the bucket the farther towards the bottom, i wasn't sure how to do this with the pieces in the templates so I made 2 skinny triangles and a skinny rectangle to attach the whole thing to the inside of the helmet to give it that slant

IMG_1237.jpg

with the keyholes installed into the helmet

IMG_1242.jpg

slightly different angle after everything dried

IMG_1240.jpg

the ridge and the rangefinder side w/o the ear, i had to build it up with layers of cardboard. I think I used about 6 sheets or so cut to the correct shape then hot glued together and into place

IMG_1245.jpg

angle 2 from the front

IMG_1243.jpg

the dent and the top of the dome filled in and ready for sanding/primer

IMG_1246.jpg

a view of the inside

IMG_1247.jpg

another look inside with the dome attached

IMG_1251.jpg

hopefully this will help determine if the dome is too tall

IMG_1253.jpg

tape measure in front

i neglected to take a shot of it from the sides with the tape measure. i'll get those taken tomorrow. after that, some final touches and then primer.

I appreciate all the feedback I can get. This is the first time I've attempted anything like this so if i'm screwing something up let me know so I can fix it now. That's a big part of why i'm documenting it so much so I can get the feedback so things can be adjusted along the way.

Thanks for looking and that's for the feedback. More to come pending hight correction if needed.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back