My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE*

unfortunately it looks like teamfett may be right

comparison.jpg

i took one of my pictures with the tape measure, scaled one of batninja's photo's of his sgtfang mystery, made his transparent and put it over mine. I hand traced (badly) the edges of the cheeks, the corners of the visor, the arrows, the dent and the top of the dome green on mine and red on the mystery. The scale of the photos looks pretty close judging by the visor, the angles they were shot at may be a bit off, but my dome is definately about 15mm too tall. :cry

i was thinking it might have been, back in the back of my mind the whole time, thanks teamfett for pointing it out and making me think about it and analyze it this much. I'd rather catch it now than later.

what the mod podge does is seal it and make it water resistant as well as making it a little stronger and harder. I tried gently pushing in at the sides below the ears at the bottom, and it doesn't seem too much more flemsy than like a DP96/97. It will need to be more reinforced with a metal hoop around the bottom, but even without it's pretty strong.

I just finished putting one coat of primer on it after fixing the dome height. That really revealed how much more work needs to be done. I thought I was going to get away without having to bondo it or put any other sort of putty or anything on it. But with the primer coat, you can really see the ridges in the dome and gaps and bubbles in the glue around the dome.

look for more updates soon.

****UPDATE****

I've been working, and photographing, but I was having problems getting pics uploaded, I ended up doing one picture at a time, so here we go

IMG_1255.jpg

primered, as you can see, I need to do some major bondoing to round out the dome. Gotta have daylight to do it though since I don't have a workspace inside for that sort of thing

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

rangefinder ear

IMG_1271.jpg

start of the cover

IMG_1277.jpg

top layer is one piece of cardboard cut and glued down at an angle

IMG_1284.jpg

I did the arch by gluing several small triangles up and down and at the angle the arch needed to be and then gluing several bigger triangles curved and then angled down.

IMG_1287.jpg

side view together with the stalk guide piece.

IMG_1292.jpg

all the pieces cut and ready for gluing for the lower section of the rangefinder side ear

IMG_1295.jpg

layers glued together ready for the top piece

IMG_1296.jpg

the top is all one piece, together with the other 2 pieces

IMG_1302.jpg

laying on the helmet unattached

IMG_1303.jpg

angle 2

IMG_1306.jpg

the other ear. I didn't take any progress pictures of this piece

IMG_1307.jpg

you can't really see much fro this angle but I thought it was fun.

IMG_1310.jpg

ears layed out together

I have since hot glued the ears on and am going to me mod podging them to seal and strengthen, then it's bondo time. No time this weekend unfortunately as I will be out of town most of it, but I'll see what I can do.

FYI for anyone wondering the strenght of the the helmet: the helmet and each of the ear pieces have all been dropped on the floor more than once and are still in tact with no damage done at all. You can also knock on it and get that nice, deep, hollow sound.

looking forward to painting and a little worried at the same time. I'm going for a ROTJ:SE so its all Gotta find and pick up the paints first. ;)

this really astounds me,

i totally feel for you when it comes to cutting out all these individual pieces and layering things to make a 3d object.

just finished an orthographic mapping project last month for a class for school. cutting out dozens of layers of illustration board to make 3 views of the same object, i did a laser tag gun

nice work on this, can't wait to see it finished

As much work as you have put into this you could of just bought a bucket. BUT, I do respect you greatly b/c your starting from ground zero. So hats off to you! I will be watching this thread.

well, the long weekend has finally given me the chance to bondo. I'm waitng for it to set so it can be sanded. Then it's time to paint. I've got all the paints on RS list so except for the tanish color on the back I should be good to go. That and I need to do alot of studying of techniques and pictures of scratches etc. Oh and I need an airbrush. but i'll be putting up some more progress pictures soon so stay posted.

Very nice work indeed, your thread is one of the threads that galvanised me into making a bucket of my own this way. Kudos on the hard work mate it's paid off in spades:)

wow... i made mine like this too but ures is perfect (mine got vry bad xDD)

i got vry bad when i saw thet ures is like this n mine is like a montain of nothin util... and i spend too mux money on that (im gettin depressed)

can i post some photos here?

Last edited by a moderator:
you may want to start your own thread for pictures of your own progress, but if you want to make some direct comparisons I have no problems with you posting them here.

that's actually just primer paint. under that is something called Mod-Podge which is clear. It's a cardboard sealer. The bottle says you can put it over jigsaw puzzles to keep them together or whatever. My sister-in-law also uses it to decopodge which is some sort of girly crafty thing.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back