TK409 Mini-Zam!

Trooper TK409

Active Hunter
My 9-yr old daughter came to me and asked to be Zam for Halloween so we built this almost completely from scratch. We weren't going for super-accuracy here, just a fun time together making a cool costume. We went to the store together and looked for things we could use for parts. I even explained the funny issue about when a store clerk asks what you're looking for and you can't explain it because they won't get it. She got a kick out of that. I let her cut things out and glue things together as well as manage the reference photos and books. She did such a great job and I found her even getting picky with screen-accurate details! Maybe it's in her genes. I found that she and I are a lot alike. She was so sweet and I've really noticed a difference in our relationship after working on this project together. She still tells me, "The helmet is my favorite part daddy," and "Thanks for spending so much time with me making my costume."

Items needed: Craft foam (layering it for thickness or details and spraypainting it for correct colors), Super Sculpy, and off-the-shelf items for under $50. Hot glue for gluing foam parts together.

Here's what we did:
- "Bodysuit" is a shirt and leggings from Walmart
- The helmet is a foam fireman's helmet trimmed slightly and worn backwards. Sculpy greeblies added. Ear parts are layered foam. I added an elastic band under her chin to keep the ears close to her head. Binocs are sprinkler pipe fittings and are screwed to the top of the helmet to keep brackets in place. Binoc brackets are just styrene strips (like "For Sale" sign plastic)
- Chest armor is all foam and velcroed to vest.
- Breathing hoses are from Radio Shack. Hose mounts are made from Sculpy and hotglued to hoses. Hoses are zip-tied to vest.
- Vest is vinyl, misted lavender for a lighter color.
- Ovaries are sculpy, hose is the same as the breathing hoses.
- Silver beads are Christmas decorations
- Blaster was $1 at Walmart, modified and painted.
- Shoes are aqua socks from Walmart, about $2 and painted. Toe caps are a baby cereal bowl, cut into quarters and hotglued to shoes.

My most grateful thanks to Moncal, Zam I Am, DustinCropsBoy and others here for the inspiration they were to us on this little project.

More photos:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

paige-zam1.jpg
paige-zam2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, that's absolutely AWESOME! Great story about how you two bonded while building it, makes me want to do something similar again with my daughter now! Hmm.... :lol:

Outstanding! I'm sure she felt very special with so much one-on-one time with dad. This is a memory she (and you) will carry for the rest of your lives.

That is absolutely awesome! Great costume!
It has to be cool having THE TK409 as your dad.
Hope you guys have fun tonight!

That is absolutely AWESOME!!! She should wear that to CIV!!! What a great project for the two of you! Hope you'll post some trick-or-treating pics as well! :D

Chris, that's absolutely AWESOME! Great story about how you two bonded while building it, makes me want to do something similar again with my daughter now! Hmm.... :lol:

Makes me wish I had a daughter! :eek: No offence to my son in any way-- just hearing about Maulmaus and your kiddo ~ welp, you get the picture right? tk409 = outstanding as always!:zam On! Great look!

BTW - styrene, garage sale sign, that's what I used for the top of my chest armor too ;) Way to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back