My first Bucket

Walteekin25

New Hunter
Hey fellows,

I just got my first bucket in the mail yesterday I was so excited until I saw the helmet. Its supposedly a Mystery Helmet and I got it off ebay. All I can say is it a mystery why I havn't thrown this helmet in the trash. Don't freakin buy any fett helmets off ebay!! I paid $85 plus shipping for this crap bucket that has all kinds of problems such as range finder ear is inaccurate and the detail on the left cheek is missing and thats just the start...However I'm hoping I can salvage this chunk. Does anyone offer a casting of the range finder ear and the missing cheek detail? Any info would be appricated.

If I can indeed salvage this thing I plan on painting her ESB colors. But I have a question on the cheek painting as well what is the best way to tape everything off so that you get that perfect circular look in the between the mandable and the lower cheek?

thx,
Walt

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all

Just wanted to give a update on my helmet. Let me know what ya think. Enjoy.
UnFett.JPG

Does that have a really rough interior? sorta like goop just slopped around in there? I bought one on ebay claiming to be a "mystery helmet" and I agree. Its sucks. Very thin fiberglass and the interior looks like it has resin thrown at it from across the room. If you hold it up to the light you can actually see light through sections of it. Yeah not a good helm at all. I feel your pain. This is actually the first terrible prop I've gotten off ebay though.

Does that have a really rough interior? sorta like goop just slopped around in there? I bought one on ebay claiming to be a "mystery helmet" and I agree. Its sucks. Very thin fiberglass and the interior looks like it has resin thrown at it from across the room. If you hold it up to the light you can actually see light through sections of it. Yeah not a good helm at all. I feel your pain. This is actually the first terrible prop I've gotten off ebay though.

It must be the same maker mate cus you got it spot on!

Well, despite the poor quality, mentioned, from the picture, it appears to have a decent shape. I guess since its really thin, you could reinforce it with some heavy material. I'd say reinforce it with some more fiberglass, Ive heard of others doing that to resin helmets, but I would imagine would help make your helm much better then it currently is. I think the paint looks good too. Its definitly salvagable. Ive seen some pretty horrible looking "things" become almost perfect masterpieces. The only thing I see that I think can be adjusted, is the RF cap. From the pic, it looks as if its slanting slightly outwards? Also, I think the RF stalk may just be a bit too tall as well. Could be the angle, but everything else is turning out very well.

-tubachris

I am a bit new to all of this but have been a fan from the begining, and am interested in getting started on building/purchacing gear. Anyhow I was wondering what is the big difference between getting a bucket from SgtFang and one from Boba Maker? Pros/Cons?

Thanks,
Sean

Well Sean, the first difference is price-and a big difference it is. A Sarge helmet is $110 while the BM helmet is what, $300 or so? I haven't priced one of Boba Makers buckets...Second is quality. While I love my resin Sgt Fang helmet, Bobamakers work (from knowing the quality of the BM armor I do have) is a better fiberglass helmet. Plus the fiberglass helmet is going to be alot more durable than the resin Sarge helmet. I've dropped my Sarge resin helmet several times and have been lucky so far-the resin can be brittle and can easily break, shatter, or chip...Another big difference is that a BM helmet will be virtually ready for paint out of the box, while the Sarge helmet is going to take some relatively extensive Bondo work to fill in all the gaps, dents, and the like (as it is a recast) before you paint...So if you have the cash and want the highest quality helmet go with Bobamaker. The Sarge helmet isn't junk by any way,shape, or form-so don't think it is by my description. It just doesn't compare with the BM model in my humble opinion...Hope that helps...

For only $263 shipped to the US you get all this from bobamaker

HELMET fibreglass, movie-sized
2 PIECE SLIMLINE EARCAP resin
T-VISOR 3mm thick darkest acrylic
RF STALK resin, strengthened with steel
HOLLOW RF resin with removable lid and transparent green screen
MQ-1 CIRCUIT resin, easy to install

and for $196 you get just the bucket and 2 piece slimline

check his site- http://www.bobamaker.co.uk/

I've just started this hobby like a month ago after finding my old Don Post 97, and well i just spent nearlly $1000 on all BM's soft and hard armor and, $300 on a pair or MoW gauntlets and, $200 on CAboots and toe spikes...lol my bucket is the worst part of my set... but now i have to save for a Painted BM bucket ...so i'm fixing up the DP till then just becasue buying everything takes the fun out of it ... well after a lot of research I found BM and MoW to be the best of the best with their respective products. again you get what you pay for...and if all you want to do is paint the bucket with little Bondo work go with BM.(y)(y)(y)

-Steve R

check his site- I've just started this hobby li... may want to edit your post. USE PM's fellas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not seen a bobamaker helmet.. i have owned, and now own a sarge and a ms3.. both are excellent helmets ,, I don't know if ms is producing helms right now , and the wait time for sarge is three four weeks but they are both worth the wait

I have not seen a bobamaker helmet.. i have owned, and now own a sarge and a ms3.. both are excellent helmets ,, I don't know if ms is producing helms right now , and the wait time for sarge is three four weeks but they are both worth the wait

I've got a BM lid, you can see pics on my site...link is below....

I've also got a Sgt Fang. Both are great, but I don't want to use my Fang to troop in mainly because of the difference is strength, but also because given the history of the Fang buckets (although perhaps not as special as was once thought) I'd rather not risk taking it out.

I'm thinking about selling my BM bucket in the near future once I have acquired another for trooping. Having tried both a BM & Sgt Fang I'm thinking of trying a different maker next time round.

Dan

Sorry this form has a billion rules...it's just that when i see a price quoted wrong i fell like it may steer someone away form something they could afford....besides I didn't list anything that is not avaiable information on his web site....which I found before I found this site. I broke no rules in my mind just helped someone find the information that's already out there...if i posted a price on a pinted bucket by BM which he doesn't list on his site then you would be right....plus if he doesn't like the free advertising then why even have a web site... whatever if BM wants me to take it down I will.

-Steve R

check his site- http://www.bobamaker.co.uk/

I've just started this hobby like a month ago after finding my old Don Post 97, and well i just spent nearlly $1000 on all BM's soft and hard armor and, $300 on a pair or MoW gauntlets and, $200 on CAboots and toe spikes...lol my bucket is the worst part of my set... but now i have to save for a Painted BM bucket ...so i'm fixing up the DP till then just becasue buying everything takes the fun out of it ... well after a lot of research I found BM and MoW to be the best of the best with their respective products. again you get what you pay for...and if all you want to do is paint the bucket with little Bondo work go with BM.(y)(y)(y)

-Steve R

Thanks for the help and info guys. I was curious Steve did your get your armor pre painted and now you are going to get a bucket form BM pre painted for you? How much more does it cost for that? I gues I could e-mail BM but sence I am already here talking to you I thought I would ask. U can PM me the info if U want, I dont' want to offend anyone, and I do agree with what U said earlier about free advertisement.

Thanks,
Sean

Well fellows heres another update...I hate the way the back of the helmet looks and I need to apply so decals but otherwise let me know what ya think.

FFront.JPG

FSide.JPG

FBack.JPG

FSide2.JPG

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back