BKBTfinished7.jpg

BKBTfinished2.jpg

BKBTfinished6.jpg

BKBTfinished4.jpg

BKBTfinished8.jpg

BKBTfinished3.jpg

BKBTfinishedearcap.jpg

BKBTfinishedinteriro.jpg

Well, it took about 5 months to do, my goal has been met 2 weeks ahead of time. The cost: $350+ Not sure the exact amount, but from the basic calculations from the majority of supplies.

I would like to thank EVERYONE that has helped me on this board to the completion of my helmet. I could not have done this on my own accord without this community's helpful insight and wealth of information.

The helmet itself is not perfect, I will admit that. Then again, what in the world is perfect? Its competly satisfactory with my standards, and I put the best effort I could, restraining myself from rushing. The work was hard, but benificial and rewarding. After being exposed to what everyone here does, I find that its much more then just costuming, its a passion in a way. Just like how I have a passion for playing the Tuba, I have a passion for my hobbies. This is my passion.

-tubachris
(What's next...?)

Nice Job Tuba! I´m Happy you finally got your BKBT finished helmet!!

Now I would dirty up a bit to make an outstanding helmet ;)

Nice Job Tuba! I´m Happy you finally got your BKBT finished helmet!!

Now I would dirty up a bit to make an outstanding helmet ;)

Well, I like a clean helmet. It dosnt look it in the pictures, but in real life, it does have its own gritiness to it, but a good kind. Besides, if I did, I might try to clean it the next day.

-tubachris

i love the bucket!

but i have a question, with ref to this pic:

BKBTfinishedearcap.jpg

did u use some kind of magnetic catch to make the caps removable?

Last edited by a moderator:
i love the bucket!

but i have a question, with ref to this pic:

BKBTfinishedearcap.jpg

did u use some kind of magnetic catch to make the caps removable?
Yes I did actually. What I did was I got 6 rare metal magnets, a and countersunk 3 holes deep enough to sit two magnets flush, and epoxied one in each hole, and epoxied the other magnets on the earcap that coorospond, so that they line up together.

-tubachris

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I did actually. What I did was I got 6 rare metal magnets, a and countersunk 3 holes deep enough to sit two magnets flush, and epoxied one in each hole, and epoxied the other magnets on the earcap that coorospond, so that they line up together.

-tubachris

ahh i should keep my eyes peeled for magnets of that size.... gd job!

ahh i should keep my eyes peeled for magnets of that size.... gd job!

Sorry for the short replies, I was in orlando, and was using my PSP online, and was on the TDH, and took FOREVER to write out a lengthy post.

Anyways, the magnets I used are "rare earth" metal magnets, you can buy them at Radioshack. They come 2 in a pack. I will say the only issue I am having with this method though, is that they are coming off. Im sure its the epoxy I'm using, or something. I brought it with me to Orlando, and was showing my buddy the helmet when one of the magnets stayed on the recieving magnet, instead of stayin on the earcap. So the only thing I'm afraid of is taking off the earcap, and the magnets coming off as well. So thats the current problem.

-tubachris

13 times repainted, and then this was BTBK's 13th helmet in the run. Interesting coincidence!! It didn't come in the mail on the 13th did it? ;)

Hmmm....jeeze, I never realized that. I need to look it up and see what day it did come on. I'm afraid to look.

-tubachris
(I'm scared..)

To secure them in place use the plumbers putty. It comes in a little stick(walmart) and you knead the desired amount together to mix it and then press a small amount into the hole and press that magnet in fast! And scrap off excess putty before it sets. Use water for clean up and dip your fingers in the water when using it so it doesn't stick to you:) Your helmet looks awesome!

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back