Armor Hell

Would it happen to be boba maker armor, because it did that to me with spray can silver, I airbrushed the silver on and it stoped.

Actually the silver cured for about a week before I used the yellow and then the yellow cured for about two days so I'm at a loss. I actually tried soaking one of the chest armor pieces in turpentine to get the paint off and it ate the plastic! The piece pretty much fell apart! Wonderful...

No it wasn't Boba Maker armor, it was a set my friend made himself. He's going to have to make more now. Ugh..

Smooth Bob, next time just set it on fire and take videos and pics and send them to your friend. HA

Just messing with you bro.

Mine did the same thing the first time too...

Primed with Krylon, silvercoated with Krylon, Caterpillar yellow coat with Rustoleum, green coat with Krylon... literally 30 seconds later, BANG... crocodile texture finish in the paint...

Hmm, and if you wanted that effect, it would never happen. One of the paints is just not liking the other. Is any of the paint enamel and then one layer laquer based?

Actually the silver cured for about a week before I used the yellow and then the yellow cured for about two days so I'm at a loss. I actually tried soaking one of the chest armor pieces in turpentine to get the paint off and it ate the plastic! The piece pretty much fell apart! Wonderful...

No it wasn't Boba Maker armor, it was a set my friend made himself. He's going to have to make more now. Ugh..

what did you use for the yellow? mixing a hobby enamel with a rattlecan paint might not work well. the spray can stuff has lots of solvent in it...

Some folks swear by rattle cans but the results can be highly unpredictable. I perfer to have control over my paints by thinning them my self and airbushing them on rather then take the chance at having a rough patch that has to be repainted.

As for the chrome... humidity or not... there is no real good way to make paint stick properly to the silver. A good trick is to clear coat over the silver with some clear coat acrylic if thats the paint type your using. Also use a acrylic silver rather then enamil. Stick with one type or another.

Even the real helmet had pullup over time and over the years. There are some spots on it that are quite apparent and if you compare it to the screen used you can see where more paint has come off.

I still testify that from all the pics Ihave studyed of the armor, it wasnt done using the "layered" method yall are trying. Even if it was you can get the same look and a much more durable and trouble free paint job by reverse layer... doing the silver last before your wash.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back