Laithe prices/quality

Howdy folks

I have a question for the people in the know.
How much should a good quality metal working laithe cost?

I've had a look around the internet and B&Q but want the input of some of the laithe users on here.

I dont need to make anything really big on it, just smaller stuff like my Rocket etc..

Thanks (y)

Howdy folks

I have a question for the people in the know.
How much should a good quality metal working laithe cost?

I've had a look around the internet and B&Q but want the input of some of the laithe users on here.

I dont need to make anything really big on it, just smaller stuff like my Rocket etc..

Thanks (y)

I think it would be cheaper to just buy the rocket as opposed to buying the lathe to make the rocket. :)

A good lathe is anywhere from $20,000 - $30,000. Some go for cheaper, some go for more. Definately not worth it if all you're going to be making is a rocket.

EDIT

Just saw you want a small one, not sure how much those go for. Probably still really expensive though.

I used to have one of those Chinese made lathes that companies like Harbor Freight sells. It cost around $700 and actually worked pretty well and after 10 years is still in use. It didn't hold the absolute best tolerances but for what you want it would probably be just fine. The one I used was similar to this model:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45861

For machining the rocket it would be nice to have a cross slide that has an angle adjustment- it'll make cutting the tapered sections much easier. I'd also invest in some carbide cutting tools- ideally with replaceable carbide inserts.

As a side note, if people want a CNC machined aluminum rocket let me know and I'll get a price quote. I'd certainly try to make the thing hollow to reduce weight......it won't be cheap but it'll be perfect! :)

Jerome

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.