Layered or topical helmet?

Hello.

Curious, I am - to what you believe the pros and cons of the two main "damage methods" are.
I know the layered gives a more realistic-looking damage, meanwhile the topical is more screen accurate. But what more is there? e.g: Which is the easiest? the quickest? the most forgiving? the best suited for Fett's helmet?

Possibly, the topical method could be better if one only occasionally had time for the helmet (as the latex only should stay on for a couple of days)

I like to use them both though, but I really have to make up my mind as I'm planning to start painting my beautiful British-Made helmet this weekend.
To paint a silver coat - or not to paint a silver coat.... that's a something.

That is a very difficult question. I think it has to deal with your personal taste and preference. As for me, I went with the layered look. I just liked the oportunity to see all the different stratas of paint. But again, that's just me!

Whatever method you choose, good luck! :)

I have always used the layered meathod but to be totally accurate you should do both. The original helmets (espcially the ESB) are mixes of both the topical and layered. I have never been a fan of the topical, in my opnion most of the time it looks like paint instead of scratches. There are a few exceptions to that but 85% of the time I think it stands true.

i am a layered guy. the screen stuff may have been topical, but it wasn't made for up-close examination.

if you're planning to wear the helmet out where people will be getting photos with you and such, they will be right next to you. people often comment on the fact that my armor / helmet are "all peeling and dented". it gives just that much more realism to it :)

Then the onion (layered) method it is! So off to buy Humbrol's masking liquid, I am.

And for the record, I'm doing the ESB helmet. And the ESB suit. Gotta love exposed flamethrowers.

By the way... why is Return of the Jedi called ROTJ, while The Empire Strikes Back is called ESB? I believe that for consistency, it should be either TESB, or RJ :p Neither "of" nor "the" are usually included in acronyms

Oh well... Star Wars has always been opposed to consistency :)

Go with both layered and topical, The topical approach gives you a chance to redo any areas you think need a little more damage/detail after you have layer painted it.

Go with both layered and topical, The topical approach gives you a chance to redo any areas you think need a little more damage/detail after you have layer painted it.

I know there are a thousands different variations and hybrids of each method :p Thus I referred to them as "main methods".

Making the grey "primer"/"rust protection" topical over the layered silver fits inside the onion category for me :) - and this is also the variation I've grown most fond of.

Thank you all for your suggestions, my helmet is now in the "Medieval Fett" stage :cheers

For my ESB I went layered for the main base colours and scratches but for the grey and maroon areas around the scratches I did topical, it was just easier for me, and also its easier if you see a new photo that shows something you missed, you can go back and add it at any time (ive done that a hell of a lot :) )

Joe
HH

And by the way... I'm trying to use Humbrol paints to match Rogue Studio's list. Can't get exact matches on all, but I'm trying to get close! And if I'm happy with it I will post a few photos and the list of all the colours and mixes used.

I state this merely because I've seen a lot of Europeans asking for advice on the available hobby paints. I'm no expert, but it'd be my suggestions at least (y) And I've been reading through a ton of these rough "paint conversion charts". Too bad they seldom agree with eachother :p

Oh well...

Over and out.

And by the way... I'm trying to use Humbrol paints to match Rogue Studio's list. Can't get exact matches on all, but I'm trying to get close! And if I'm happy with it I will post a few photos and the list of all the colours and mixes used.

I state this merely because I've seen a lot of Europeans asking for advice on the available hobby paints. I'm no expert, but it'd be my suggestions at least (y) And I've been reading through a ton of these rough "paint conversion charts". Too bad they seldom agree with eachother :p

Oh well...

Over and out.
If you do choose to buy the sintra armour from me, I could pick up some of the airbrush colours chosen by Rogue Studios for you.

The ESB helmet is at least 90% layered and masked with only very small areas that are topically touched up. Joe Johnston said he masked and painted the layers, and the tour pictures of the ESB helmet support that statement.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back