Low budget Boba jet pack

It is crazy! Who would have thought you could make a Fett costume using only what you have in your garage.......

Here's some more progress pics. I still have the thrusters to make as well as some detail bits but it's getting there. Only one week left!

jetpack14.jpg

jetpack15.jpg

jetpack16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Simply amazing. Inspires me to try something like this. Ive always wanted a jet pack lol

-tubachris

man, that is amazing!, that's it I need to find this cardboard you're using. where did you get it????

tell me !!! lol

I got it from some boxes from work. It's about 1/16" thick- it's really a kind of paperboard- very much like the stuff sold at craft stores in large sheets for use in framing art.

You're tellin' me that's all cardboard?????? Absolutely unbelieveable ... dude that :jet pack is amazing. I'm stunned and how well you could shape everything by just using cardboard. Awesome job!(y):cheers(y)

Made out of cardboard... soda cans... and styrene... that's amazing. You should start making items that are mouldable!! I'm sure everyone would jump on this stuff!!

Molding and casting stuff is great and all but I had an idea the other day that would be kind of cool- what if someone got together with Alan and used his templates to produce laser cut cardboard or styrene kits for helmets/jet packs/gauntlets? I don't know exactly how the financial percentages/legal issues would work out but it would be a cool thing to offer.

Sure would make things a heck of a lot cheaper for kits. I have actualy contemplated building a JP just like you. The hardest part for me however is making the whole rocket set up, after that, I shouldnt have too much of an issue. Also, what adhesive did you use to hold everything together?
Thanks, and a good idea. Hope the legallity of it works.

-tubachris

Molding and casting stuff is great and all but I had an idea the other day that would be kind of cool- what if someone got together with Alan and used his templates to produce laser cut cardboard or styrene kits for helmets/jet packs/gauntlets? I don't know exactly how the financial percentages/legal issues would work out but it would be a cool thing to offer.

I think GCN is all over that idea already.

(y)

And here I am complaining that even if I buy a jet pack it won't get here in time.

Sure would make things a heck of a lot cheaper for kits. I have actualy contemplated building a JP just like you. The hardest part for me however is making the whole rocket set up, after that, I shouldnt have too much of an issue. Also, what adhesive did you use to hold everything together?
Thanks, and a good idea. Hope the legallity of it works.

-tubachris

The rocket does take a bit of time to make- I think I spent three solid evenings on it. For the styrene rocket I used regular ProWeld plastic cement and superglue. For the cardboard jet pack body I used a hot glue gun. I made the jet pack body in two evenings- it goes together really quick.

Hehe. Alan and I have all ready made that agreement. I use a CNC laser and cut his parts for kits for sale. Right now I make armour and jet packs. I'm still trying to get pics of my completed jet pack so that I can show people what it will look like when the kit is completed. They are all made out of 1/8" Sintra. I would like to try helmet kits, but the Dome and the cheeks are a little tricky, I may need to vacuuform those.

EDIT: I'm posting pics below to show the work I have done, I am not trying to fish for buyers.

Here's an old pic of a kit.
LaserCutJet%20Pack1.gif

Cheap webcam image of a Jango Fett suit, details are laser etched.
ChildSizedArmor1.gif

ChildSizedArmor3.gif

I think the only problem with what you have done is that Boba actually used Dr. Pepper for the rockets. :lol:

Amazing job! Will you have it finished for Halloween? It looks pretty close...

Honus,

If I may ask, how did you bend the cardboard so perfectly into tubes like that ? Did you get it wet and shape it around something ?

That pack is AWESOME !!! (y)

Man that jet pack is coming along just awesome. The cost of materials has to be less than $20! I think the soda cans are even off brand to save a little more:lol:

Glad everyone likes it- I've taken lots of pics during construction. I bent the cardboard around a large PVC pipe section- didn't even have to get it wet. So far I have exactly $1.98 into it! :lol: I ended up having to buy a couple of wood parts to make the thrusters from. The ball for the thruster is a bit small but it'll do for a Halloween costume. Even if you had to buy all the materials it still wouldn't cost $20- and this thing is LIGHT- maybe two pounds tops. I'm trying to finish everything up for Halloween- it's going to be close. Don't know if I'll get the gauntlets done....

Glad everyone likes it- I've taken lots of pics during construction. I bent the cardboard around a large PVC pipe section- didn't even have to get it wet.

Thanks (y)

You have two days (untill party day)......GO GO GO !!!!! (y)

Hey, hey...GCN, Honus, where can I get the schematics/measurements for this stuff? I have the helmet schematics for the cardboard one, but none of the other parts of Fett's armor.

I need some of this "cardboard" and some of the Sintra styrene sheets you all use so well. Screw buying parts, I'll make them myself. Cheaper, cooler, and more satisfying. And if it breaks, I'll know how to fix it.

<end rant>

-Dash

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back