SgtFang Mystery Helmet - A Review and Progress Thread

Lookin' forward to the updates Batninja! I just received my Sgt. Fang, and it looks like he beefed up the thickness in the areas around the rear vents (key slots). The resin looks thicker than in your previous post. The seam lines are still there, and the old RF earcap still comes with the set, but overall, it looks like there aren't any thin spots anymore.

Oh, and working with his resin mix is great! It's much easier to get clean cuts and smooth finishes compared to fiberglass. I'm not very skilled either way, but it's coming along faster and easier than my fiberglass bucket by a well known maker.

(y)

hey batninja where do you get one of those stg fang helmets???can they resist the rain.if you get them fiber glassed?right....i've never done this before can someone help me out?

updates? I ordered a SGTFang Helm and I'm planning on useing this post as a guide for my clean up. Looks great so far man but lets see more!

batninja said:
Regular white model putty is what I'm using to fill in small holes. The brand is Squadron. I usually prefer Testors red putty, but the local HobbyTown was out of stock.

Is this stuff expensive? I've been using bondo to shape the top and bottom edges of the blaster stock I'm working on, and yeah, I've discovered it's TOUGH to sand. I'd love to use something a little easier to work with, but that's still relatively cheap.

Can it be applied with bare hands? It would be great to have that "feel" when filling small areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys just a heads up- I just finished a new mold to replace the one I've been using all summer, and it's giving me much smoother finishes and paper thin seams! 8)

Also, I just started a third mold so that I can have two good molds going at once. That will really speed up my production time! (y)

95.00 shipped in the US, 25.00 shipping eveywhere else.

Paypal to SgtFang@aol.com all other e-mail to allartistries@aol.com

Thanks!

-Sarge

Hey guys just a heads up- I just finished a new mold to replace the one I've been using all summer, and it's giving me much smoother finishes and paper thin seams! 8)

Also, I just started a third mold so that I can have two good molds going at once. That will really speed up my production time! (y)

95.00 shipped in the US, 25.00 shipping eveywhere else.

Paypal to SgtFang@aol.com all other e-mail to allartistries@aol.com

Thanks!

-Sarge

I got a chance to check out Batninja's Sgt. Fang helmet when I was in Texas.

It's nice and light and looks really good.

I must say at this price it is a SUPER buy! (y)

UPDATE 1/29/2007!

I haven't worked on the bucket in awhile, so I though I'd post an update. A few weeks ago, evan4218 fiberglassed the inside for strength (in preparation of the servo installation).

And since there was no football yesterday, I headed up to SpideyFett's house and did some more work.

I wasn't happy with the alignment of the earcap (wasn't flat), so we redid the magnet positioning, and performed a little Dremel-sanding on the inside of the earcap. These magnets are tough little boogers, and VERY STRONG! My only concern now is that they may affect the servo mechanism, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

helmet_3.jpg

Ever since the fiberglassing, the mandibles tended to 'open' a little, creating a wider vertical slit than what I wanted, and wouldn't align properly to the horizontal slit I thought that maybe using Spidey-Fett's visor method would allow the visor to 'brace' the mandibles into the correct width. It worked like a charm!

helmet_1.jpg

helmet_2.jpg

My helmet has now been 'Spidey-fied' with his unique visor-mount system, involving the Forstner drill bit mentioned in his thread.

helmet_4.jpg

There's still some general cleanup to be done, and I'll be tackling that next weekend.

Next up:
1) Paint inside
2) Wet-sand and prime outside
3) Install mesh in back (not going for accuracy here, folks!)
4) Servo installation

I'll post more progress later. Enjoy!

Wow, thanks batninja, I need this thread for my future Mistery Helmet. Thanks for make it and more progress but... without hurry!!! (y)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back