Molding a Mask

Slush casting is easy. You take the slush (the material the item is going to be made out of) and then you pour it in a pourous mold (such as plaster of paris). You let it set for a while and the mold will leach out the water, etc. from the slush. You then pour out the extra slush and you are done. Though this won't work well with resin, generally this is how latex masks are made.

To use resin, and I think this is what Evan was talking about, you want to roto-cast. Pour a small amount of the resin into the mold and then slowly rotate it (i.e. "slush") around until the resin has hardened.

Slush casting is easy. You take the slush (the material the item is going to be made out of) and then you pour it in a pourous mold (such as plaster of paris). You let it set for a while and the mold will leach out the water, etc. from the slush. You then pour out the extra slush and you are done. Though this won't work well with resin, generally this is how latex masks are made.

To use resin, and I think this is what Evan was talking about, you want to roto-cast. Pour a small amount of the resin into the mold and then slowly rotate it (i.e. "slush") around until the resin has hardened.

Yup that's the latex route. normall what you do first is brush a coat of latex in first then check for air bubbles then fill it with latex, if you don't have enough you can "slosh" it around to get it to build up a thickness.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back