Old Fashioned 'Killstripe' Thread

AFettFullofDollars

Well-Known Hunter
As I was painting the Killstripes on Shabad's MS 3, I decided to snap a few pictures and make a quick picture tutorial for anyone that might be getting ready to paint their own helmet. These are for the ESB scheme and are made using the 'old fashioned' method of masking tape strips and liquid mask (in this case, mustard). For those that use killstripe templates this thread may seem a bit...quaint, but for anyone just beginning, the method is simple and the results look really good. All in all this took about an hour and fifteen minutes from start to finish and leaves nice clean edges around each stripe without any underspray or bleedthrough.

Cnv0017.jpg

Cnv0018.jpg

Cnv0019.jpg

Cnv0020.jpg

Cnv0021.jpg

Cnv0022.jpg

Cnv0023.jpg

Cnv0025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What thickness of tape do you use to get the proper spacing between the stripes? I am sure it is already posted somewhere, but since we have this thread going...

Great stuff Paul!

Very helpful indeed and im sure all the members, new and old, would love to see more of this sort of tutorial stuff...

Mason.
PS: still in awe over this bucket of mine and i keep finding myself staring at it for (as the wife says)...an obscene amount of time!

This is exactly how I've always done; no templates for me!

Not sure what AFF$ used for the spacing tape, but I always used 1/4" quilter's tape. I think I got it at Wal-Mart.

That's it batninja... 1/4" space between each killstripe. The stripes themselves are 1" tall and 3/8" wide. And the space between the bottom of the killstripes and the top portion of the visor (red area) is 1/4".

Hammer of Might said:
Great tutorial! Is mustard the best way, or will liquid mask work on this too?

Liquid mask will work too. It's strictly your preference. I use mustard because it's cheap and you don't have to wait for it to dry.

This is an absolutely killer pictorial (y)

I really wanted to see an example of the mustard, toothpaste alternative. You've convinced me to save the 20 to 30 bucks on liquid mask and just open the fridge!

You say there's no drying time? Just spray the piece right after applying huh.

Thanks for the dimensions. I will be doing the killstripes this weekend I think, so the timing is perfect!!! Thanks again for your Socratic leanings.

I would suggest people try a small spot of mustard on the helmet somewhere first, to make sure it doesn't stain the color. (let it sit for 10-15 mins)

Some mustards are cheap and can do that :)

stonerook said:
I would suggest people try a small spot of mustard on the helmet somewhere first, to make sure it doesn't stain the color. (let it sit for 10-15 mins)

So you're saying use "name brand" mustard? K i'll go all out and spend the extra 12 cents and get the French's:lol:

stonerook said:

Uh, excuse me? Do you have any Grey Poupon?

Thats cool on the mustard part was this done on accident or just didn't have any masking fluid. "Can you hold off the mayo"."I want mustard with that"!! :lol: :lol:

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back