Painting FP *NEW VERSION* Chest armor

I am very upset that my paints are 6 days late as of today:facepalm

I have been doing some major reworking and still am. A few weeks ago I stopped playing around with the weathering and settled on something that I liked.
Now I have finished most of the left chest plate and I am just sitting around until my green gets here. Then I can repaint the right plate which in this picture is in a terrible mess.

I plan on attaching this armor with some sort of "peg through the vest" method so it behaves similar to the real stuff.

More updates soon I hope (If my bloody paint ever arrives):angry

Last edited by a moderator:
You should have just found a local hobby store to buy them from. Since you're in Massachusetts like me, you should take a drive to Tyngsboro, MA (right on the border of NH). There's a huge hobby store there that sells all these paints. I've always had luck just walking in and buying whatever colors of RS's list that I need.

I have found that all the hobby stores in texas are quite dissapointing as far as the Testor (modelmaster) brands go but I love that they have all the Humbrol enamels! Since I have fallen head over heals in love with that brand! The only testors I still use is the Panzer Olive Green. The rest are all Humbrol now.

oh, and on having chrome on top of the other colors. Heres a little hint, the real deal had chrome as the last color added! ;)

It also keeps your finish more stabel, as the acrylics are not designed to stick to the chrome, nor is any paint for the most part but the testors chrome color we all use is an enamel and using an acrylic on an enamil ends up with pait getting pulled up easy.

oh, and on having chrome on top of the other colors. Heres a little hint, the real deal had chrome as the last color added! ;)

It also keeps your finish more stabel, as the acrylics are not designed to stick to the chrome, nor is any paint for the most part but the testors chrome color we all use is an enamel and using an acrylic on an enamil ends up with pait getting pulled up easy.

Thanks Evan4218 informative as always(y)

You should have just found a local hobby store to buy them from. Since you're in Massachusetts like me, you should take a drive to Tyngsboro, MA (right on the border of NH). There's a huge hobby store there that sells all these paints. I've always had luck just walking in and buying whatever colors of RS's list that I need.

Sweet, thanks for the tip! I actually live in Southwest NH and not MA so this Tyngsboro might be pretty darn close.

I've just moved this from my old thread.

I've been working out how to do the bumpy looking paint around the dents. I finally settled on just torching them and now I'll repaint that part. Has anybody else tried this?

Nevermind all the yellow and silver; I've reworked most of it since this was taken. There is still alot for me to learn (by messing up). My only regret is that I have to "learn" on a FP product.:facepalm

Lets just say I took the 70's ILM thing to heart and am treating this armor paint job like crap;)
attachment.php

Progress Update!
Its been really slow and full of weird paint experiments but I think I've finally started getting the hang of this painting thing...
Ive only just begun the weathering and the right plate is still in a very raw state. I am officially calling this my test armor because I want to get a new set and not mess up so much on it. So if Chris sees this, remember to add me to the list.

HPIM2479.jpg

I have figured out every single thing not to do to this armor! Here it is in its current state in a drawer in my dorm room. As I've said before, this was the great experiment for me. I dont have professional painting skills at all and even though I could have just sprayed it US Med Green and been done with it, I played with many, many weathering and coloring techniques. Now I finally know what it is I want and how to achive it.

None of these pieces are done. The left side is the closest to being finished. I have to repaint the right side and do some airbrushing on the abdomen again:angry I really suck at this. I apologize to everyone who has painting skill...

sHPIM2483.JPG

Hey I think they are coming together. Like you I have never done any major painting, I much better at weathering with an airbrush than I am at painting. Keep up the work though man and you will get much better.

I was just going though some pictures, and I realized I had never posted the finished armor. So, sorry to wake up and old thread but I didnt want it to be unfinished.
HPIM3138.jpg

This armor has since been sold to a member.

Thanks! I hope it will be part of a complete costume someday.

A request; please dont post in the old thread on this topic.
Mutant Spongebob guy, I will answer here.
Yes there is quite a bit of difference between the ESB and ROTJ paintjobs. Mine is ROTJ. The dents are different too, yes.

If you search FP armor you should find his intrest/for sale thread and therein are pictures of both ESB and ROTJ armor dents without paint confusing things.

I'd link you somewhere, but the search function is better for your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back