another rotj jet pack thread

this morning before work i peeled back a bit of the weathering:

normal__MG_2241.jpg

and yes, i do sleep. i slept from 2:30 AM until 8 AM! ;)

oh, and i also painted a tusken raider rifle and a firefly replica last night too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any specific patterns or a certain reference for the weathering? That looks really good right there! Oh yeah ... have ya done any work with the rocket yet?

tk7602 said:
and yes, i do sleep. i slept from 2:30 AM until 8 AM! ;)
Please tell me you at least take a nap during the day. If I was runnin' off 5.5 hours of sleep, I'd darn near pass out at some point in the day.

Try taking 13 units of Summer School over a 6 week period, working a part time job and having to watch 2 little sisters in between, I go to bed at 2-3am after homework and get up at 6am to go to school. These 6 weeks couldn't end soon enough....thank god for insomnia and Monster Lo-Carb energy drinks...

TK4356 said:
Try taking 13 units of Summer School over a 6 week period, working a part time job and having to watch 2 little sisters in between, I go to bed at 2-3am after homework and get up at 6am to go to school. These 6 weeks couldn't end soon enough....thank god for insomnia and Monster Lo-Carb energy drinks...

DUDE WHHAAAATTT? I was ever in your position, I guarantee I'd be keepin' Starbucks mighty busy!

Jimmy BufFETT said:
Do you have any specific patterns or a certain reference for the weathering? That looks really good right there! Oh yeah ... have ya done any work with the rocket yet?

the damage is from reference photos here and the star wars visual dictionary. my plan is/was to use the masking fluid for the major areas, and then scratch with a knife / use a paint marker to get the little stuff.

Jimmy BufFETT said:
Please tell me you at least take a nap during the day. If I was runnin' off 5.5 hours of sleep, I'd darn near pass out at some point in the day.

nope... i average around 5-6 a night, and can get by on as little as 3-4. after a few days of that i start to get fuzzy around the edges though.

the weathering marches on. this is from a couple of days ago:

normal__MG_2257.jpg

last night i spent a couple of hours doing the small detail scratches and chips (both with misc sharp things and some silver paint)

i'm pretty much done with the body now, and have moved on to the thrusters and rocket. i'm hoping to have this wrapped up for the weekend, when the NEG takes a costumed duck boat tour of boston :)

here's the latest:

normal_jet pack_004.jpg

the upper right part of the JP body needs to be re-weathered. i f'd it up and had to repaint that section. the thrusters still need weathering. the thrusters and rocket are not attached yet. i still need to paint the assorted black symbols on there. and lastly, it needs to have attachments added so i can wear it.

colors used so far:
- rustoleum silver for the base
- rustoleum royal blue for the main blue parts
- rustoleum navy blue misted over the royal until i liked it
- rustoleum line striping yellow (upside down can) for the yellow
- rustoleum flat white for the white parts
- rustoleum "american accents" claret wine for the red on the pack and the mist on the rocket
- rustoleum flat black mist over most of the body
- createx sepia airbrush paint for brown weathering on the white parts of the body

tk7602,

Your paintjob turned out awesome (as usual)!! :cheers

I really like it! (y)

repainted the thrusters, did a bit of detail painting, and attached the beacon and stabilizer.

normal__MG_2268.jpg

gotta do a couple of red spots in the thrusters, dirty up the whole thing a bit, and strap it on :)

Wow ... nice paint job there. Question: the silver on the right side looks more weathered than it does on the left side (notable on the thruster.) Is this how the final version should turn out to be or is it just the way the light is hitting the jet pack?

Jimmy BufFETT said:
Wow ... nice paint job there. Question: the silver on the right side looks more weathered than it does on the left side (notable on the thruster.) Is this how the final version should turn out to be or is it just the way the light is hitting the jet pack?

that's just the light... there are 4 60 watt bulbs up over it to the right.

I just found this thread and its great. I have a Ruffkin jet pack still sitting with the factory primer:( This is good motivation for me to get working. Will this thread eventually include a harness build(y)

Oh, and can we have a pic of the backside of the pack, or isn't it painted? Looking to see how far the blue goes. I bought a can of royal blue already.

mrgr8ness said:
Oh, and can we have a pic of the backside of the pack, or isn't it painted? Looking to see how far the blue goes. I bought a can of royal blue already.

the back side is pretty uninteresting... when i start on the harness, pics of that will come up by default :)

the whole thing is the royal blue misted with black and navy blue.

the more i thought about it, the more i liked using "jango colors" for the base and then weathering it to boba style. it gives a nice feeling of continuity :)

on the harness note... i'm hoping to pick up supplies this weekend. i tried using a modified backpack, but it was too bulky for my tastes. i'm going to use the pattern on tk409.com as a base, but change up a few things...

http://www.tk409.com/images/fett/harness/diagram.gif

here's the pack being worn for the first time. i noticed in my photos that the extra weight of the heavier pack was bleeping up my posture again, so i have to re-learn how to stand up straight with it on!

but anyway:

normal_moviesinthepark06_007.jpg

i noticed in my photos that the extra weight of the heavier pack was bleeping up my posture again, so i have to re-learn how to stand up straight with it on!

I hear ya there ... and ya probably darn near fall forward after you're done troopin' when somebody takes it off ... at least I do.;)

Looks really great! Nice work!

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back