How to paint fiberglass/ black gelcoat HELP

Darth Marco

New Hunter
Chill8) . I'm new when it's about painting. And I don't know anything how it works precizely.:confused
1e I have a darth vader helmet made of fiberglass. No primer, no basecoat. Just outof the mold. What is the first step? And what primer do I use. Same with basecoat.:eek:
2e I have 2 shin guards made of fiberglass and black gelcoat. They have to become white shinguards. Same questions are asked:eek:
3e I have the chestbox made of polyuretaan. Gess what:confused What is needed here?
4e The belt. I bougth the items but I have to drill, make the boxes like they should be. There are 2 questions. First the whole stuff of painting.
Second the buckle looks good, but the background is powdercoated black. And I want to have it white. What to do:facepalm
5e The shoulder armour is already sanded, primer + 2 layers of basecoat.
Thanks I feel like a :wacko . So plewase need HELP:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you wash the pieces in warm water with a mild detergent, and them primer the pieces with a good sandable primer, you can paint them without any problem.

I always use regular wal-mart grey primer, and I have never had any issues, and most paints when allowed to dry properly will stick to fiberglass just fine.
Resin is the material that is sometimes finicky with certain paints.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back