gmb13286

New Hunter
I am new to this and was wondering if fiberglass vs sintra. which is better? And has any every hear of star fortress productions? If so any postive feedback? any negative. i found them over the internet and their product looks very good but like i said i am new. someone please help me i am trying to get a suit ready for dragon-con have all but armor, that all i am lacking.

A lot of people use fiberglass and a lot use sintra. Kinda depends on how much money you want to spend. You probably won't find a lot of positive comments on Star fortress. Just search the name and take a look. You can pretty much find everything you need from good prop makers here.

Oh, Jeez... Don't even think of buying from SFP!

Do a search for him over at the RPF and you'll see why... On a side note, are you going to build a screen accurate Fett outfit? Fiberglass is strong but time consuming, and Sintra has its trials and errors as well; AFettFullOfDollars has a great tutorial posted on how to make armor out of plastic trash bins from Walmart for less than $20...

star fortress sucks but as for the armor fiberglass armor from bobamaker or mlc is accurate but if you have a lowbudget go with sintra because you just print off templates and bend the armor pieces to your shape. also you can make it as accurate as you want it.

I'm using sintra for my armor, and it is like a divine holy material to me. It is easy to work with. Just trace the armor template onto the sintra, cut out with a hobby knife, dip in boiling water, then bend it to your hearts desire. When your done, put it in some cold water. And I only paid about $25 for a 4x8' sheet of it. It's split in half for me and a friend, but still, 4x4' is still more than enough for all the armor. Fiberglass would be great if you can afford it, though. Has a great curve to it you can't achieve with sintra.

Anything you buy for your costume, buy it from here. There are people who make quality Fett products, and are very trusted. From all the comments on SFP I've seen, I'd rather buy off an unknown on Ebay than anything from SFP.

Thanks to all who wrote with the help full hints. In any one honest opinion what would you choose sintra or fiberglass? Cost is really not that big of a deal i just want a screen accurate Bobba and Jango Fett Costume. If i choose sintra, where can i get the templets and material? And if i choose fiberglass how do i make it. Which will hold up longer and be more durable? Thanks again.

gmb13286 said:
Thanks to all who wrote with the help full hints. In any one honest opinion what would you choose sintra or fiberglass? Cost is really not that big of a deal i just want a screen accurate Bobba and Jango Fett Costume. If i choose sintra, where can i get the templets and material? And if i choose fiberglass how do i make it. Which will hold up longer and be more durable? Thanks again.
Sintra is more durable but fiberglass is more cannon IMO

Can anyone ponit me into the direction of finding templets. And how to get the from the computer to the trash can method.

gmb13286 said:
Can anyone ponit me into the direction of finding templets. And how to get the from the computer to the trash can method.

Armor templates:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=7825&highlight=armor+template

Knee armor:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=9337&highlight=armor+template

Trash Can Thread:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=6290&highlight=trash

And this is my thread about using a fungo bat to make the curvature on the knee armor as all one piece instead of using three separate pieces, I tried to do the regular method and it has turned out awesome for some, but I just wasn't having any luck with it myself.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=13264&highlight=armor+template

Also remember that SEARCH is your friend. I just happen to have these saved in my favorites.

Also search for threads by wizardofflight as he has been an invaluable source of info and templates!!!

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back