Prepro helmet v.2 project

Yea Micke your Eyes helmet was one of the major reasons I want to do one of those helmets myself. Your paint jobs made me step mine up and try harder. I am really anxious to see your pre-pro2 helmet. Soon I might get to show off my eyes helmet on here and I hope it looks as good as yours did.

Hi webchief long time no see:)

Spideyfett: Glad to be able to help out!

Predatormv: Mine was never finished cause it broke, but i'm working on it again. Oh if you want you could post pics of your pre pro helmet here. I'm sure people would love to see it again:) You did great work on it!

Still no major update on mine i'm afraid. I got sick this saturday and only got to work some more on the dent yesterday. i'm also awaiting a set of MS keyholes for the rear. I might switch them. If not i might save it for my Prepro eyes bucket. Minor details left on the helmet though..nothing big.
I've also ordered BM's RF-top as the one that came with the MSH was too brittle and chipped. So pretty much just some small prepwork left, then i'll continue with the colors:) Stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask and yee shall recieve (any excuse to show off my stuff). Here is my pre-pro2 helmet in all of it's glory. It is a MSH2. The first couple of pics don't have the visor installed only held in by tape the full costume pic is it completed. The first ones were taken indoors with a flash and some of the details are washed out and the colors look a little different in person. The last pic was taken indoors with a flash (I think) and under a bunch of different color lights which is why it looks so blue on top.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

fettpic.jpg

I love the full shot! The helmet looks awesome. Our colors are very alike.
How did you paint it? And the ever so famous question. How did you install teh visor? My Visor is taped in at the moment. Not the best method:/

-Mikael

I painted it using the mustard method, meaning I painted the silver base coat then masked off the scratches with mustard, let it dry, painted the colors over it, then scratched off the mustard, then did some washes. All the colors including the kill stripes were hand painted, that is why they look a little different then everyone else's helmets that are painted with the same colors but airbrushed. My visor is held in with hi-temp hot glue and plastic weld (a 2 part epoxy that makes plastic). The hot glue alone wouldn't hold the visor in on its own but a little bit of plastic weld goes a long way.

In real life my colors are somewhere in between the 2 pics, they aren't quite as dark as the full shot but no where near as bright as the helmet only pics. I think they are closer to the full shot.

Oh and the black smudges around some of the scratches were done by hand, and I mean with my hands. I put a little bit of a greyish black on my fingers and wiped most of it off on a towel and then smudged it on the helmet where I needed it.

I think that i have found a very good maincolor. It's actually a grey with just a hint of green. It turns a little blue in some settings.
Here is the current palette. I photographed the colors in different settings with/without flash so that you can see how they behave.

progress_new_colors_post.jpg

They are Hobby enamel paints. Or were you thinking of the names of the color types? I have to look when i get home.

I think thats what he meant:) If not then i would like the brands and colors you used(y)

micke said:
They are Hobby enamel paints. Or were you thinking of the names of the color types? I have to look when i get home.

Humbrol
matt 31(main color)

Rainbow hobby enamel
"41 Rosso matone"(mandibles)

Rainbow hobby enamel
"54 Blu Marina"(Lower cheeks)

Tamiya
"TS 43 Racing green"(rear)

Color to mist on top of the Tamiya racing green as the Tamiya color was too deep green this will add just a little
blue and grey hue:

Humbrol enamel
(rear)

Humbrol super enamel
(killstripes)

There is a grey color that ive completely forgot about. It suppose to be were the keyslots are. Ill add that one to the list soon.

enamels.jpg

Thanks, Spidey:)
The helmet has been spraypainted silver and all the scratches are drawn on with a pencil. First coat of color soon:) Stay tuned!

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back