My reworked E-bay nightmare...

drokkul

Well-Known Hunter
I've often seen the phrase on this board...

"There is something we've all bought before we found this board that we wished we hadn't"

This blaster was mine.

In all fairness, though, when I first got it I really liked it and thought...this is just the coolest. Then after playing with it for about 5 minutes and breaking off the trigger guard...:facepalm

Then I found this board a long time later and was inspired by some of the things I've seen and decided that I must redo this hunk of resin, wood, and foam.

Here are some pics as it looked not too long ago:
DSC01317.jpg

DSC01318.jpg

DSC01321.jpg

:puke :puke :puke

• I cleaned up the shape and irregularties
  • I resculpted the breach
  • Made a new trigger and trigger guard out of layers of sintra
  • Replaced the foam core barrel with pvc pipe
  • Made cooling fins from sculpey (ala my other thread)
  • Sanded and filled pock marks, air bubbles and crud holes
  • I didn't have a nice looking screw for the handle so I sculpted one in Kneadatite
  • I found that many bad places on the gun (stock mainly) were filled with some kind of soft clay like material that broke away easily and crumbled (this is why the trigger guard broke away so easily!!!)
These are a few pics of the work:
DSC01368.jpg

DSC01372.jpg

DSC01387.jpg

DSC01398.jpg

And in primer...
DSC01408.jpg

DSC01405.jpg

DSC01406.jpg

I cleaned up some of the detail and tried to make it look a bit more Webley-ish. One day I may even use the same method I used on the trigger and guard to make a more correct looking hammer.

I have yet to add the greeblies, scope mounts, scope or blaster tip (which is done, just not affixed).

Is it passable now? Comments are welcome and ideas for change are as well.

WOW! That's like the difference between night and day!:eek: That's really comming along great, I can't wait to see it done!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
The New and Improved Blaster... Now with 100% more Ultra Flat Black!!!!:lol:
DSC01410.jpg

I decided to leave some air bubbles unfilled. On the parts that would be metal I thought it almost gave a nice weathered "pitted" look.
DSC01412.jpg

DSC01417.jpg

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

I chose to leave some casting bubbles, and flaws in mine too. It just gave it that 'been around the galaxy' look. Your on your way! Keep it up! A little here, and a little there, viola!

Awww...man! I left the darn thing outside after painting it and then it rained!
DSC01422.jpg

DSC01420.jpg

DSC01421.jpg

The flash really washed the color out of the rust. It's a lot darker in person with mixes of oranges and reds. I'll try to take a better pic tomorrow. Now I'm starting on scratchbuilding the stock greeblies!

Are you going to scratch build the bomb racks, or the mid-chamber wings? May I suggest you contact Fetthunter for the bomb rack. You will not be disappointed! His castings are crisp and clean. If memory serves me correct, they are only $7. Its a shame to see a nice blaster rusted :lol:

Buckeye_01 said:
Are you going to scratch build the bomb racks, or the mid-chamber wings? May I suggest you contact Fetthunter for the bomb rack. You will not be disappointed! His castings are crisp and clean. If memory serves me correct, they are only $7. Its a shame to see a nice blaster rusted :lol:

I'm probably going to go ahead and sculpt the bomb racks. I used to sculpt gaming miniatures all the time and I feel pretty sure I can do one of these then just mold and cast for the second one.

Do the wings come from the same model kit or have they ever been identified?

I'm not sure anyone knows what they are exactely. Sidewinder made a template up not to long ago. You can cut them out of some plastic, or styrene.

Here are Sidewinders dimensions.

attachment.php

The master for my 1st stock greeblie...
DSC01429.jpg

I just realized upon further inspection that the hole to the farthest right inside the brass ring does not have a raised area around it. Have to pop that back off.

I think I even have an idea how to do the A, B, and C that are by the holes on the model pieces.

Wow, talk about making the best of a bad situation. I cannot wait to see what this blaster looks like when you are done with it.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back