New batting helmet bucket

It's been a busy weekend but I got accomplished what I wanted to get done. Applied the damage to the back right side. Used AFFO$ template for the right rear adjusted the size in photoshop and cut out of frisket. I do an approximate cutout in the frisket then apply liquid mask for the edges and detail areas to save material. After 24 hours I masked and applied the red. I wasn't satisfied with the boxcar red so I mixed my own trying to match the high res ESB photos. The cloud city hallway scenes seem to be the most accurate color rendering that I have seen. I used a base of ATSF Mineral Brown which is a little more red in color mixed 75/15/10 with Wisconsin Central Maroon and ATSF Red. The ATSF Red I used was about a ten year old color I had and is definitely more red than the bottle I just purchased. The newer bottle is too pale. All colors are Floquil and MM enamels once again. The two photos without flash are closer to the in person color than with the flash-more maroon than bright red. I haven't tried the Caboose color now suggested but the color I mixed is very close to Kryon Burgundy Satin. Will probably move to the lower cheeks next and perfect my masking technique for the scratches before moving on to the more involved areas. Hope you like:)

Helmet 77.jpg

Helmet 82.jpg

Helmet 78.jpg

Helmet 80.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reading this thread since it was started and now I can post:

WOOOOOOOOW :eek:

Good work, ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I completed the lower left cheek this week. Any feedback from the master painters would be appreciated-you know who you are. I used Dookie's template again for the lower cheek and left off the non film version scratches. Used lark dark grey and humbrol silver metalcote for the damage. Used a grimy black for the scorched areas. May try and come back with some subtle pastel weathering by some of the main scratches to help blend them in a little more. I also used some light oversprays in areas with Medium green for variations in color. Let me know if I'm on the right track. You guys are my best critics.

Helmet 87.jpg

Helmet 83.jpg

Helmet 84.jpg

Helmet 86.jpg

very nice bro.

Dont be shy to add some brown tones in there. Here is a pic showing them. There subtle but there.

Also keep in mind when looking at these picks that these are with flash. I always use my camera to show me how it looks in comparison to the real deal. Usually weathering is darker then it appears in these pics because of the flash effect. Keep up the good work, this could turn out to be one of the better if not the best scratch built and painted up fan made buckets I have ever seen.

leftcheek.jpg

Thanks guys for the encouragement and kind words. The templates you have made available sure make this paint up a lot easier. Evan, thanks for pointing out the brown weathering. Like you said, trying to match colors and details and adjusting for the flash photography makes it even more difficult. I need you guys for that second set of eyes in order not to miss anything. ESB images are tough to come by so any cross reference of accurate movie damage to the reference disc exhibit photos is greatly appreciated. Working on other lower cheek and upper cheeks. Should have progress photos this weekend. Thanks again.

Working on the mandibles; wow what a lot of work. Question for you guys. Are the paint splatters and specks original or did they happen at a later (post-movie) date? Can't really tell from the ESB high-res if they are there or not. Pictures coming soon.

Finally had good enough weather to take some natural lighting photos. Finished the mandibles and left upper cheek and have started on right lower cheek. The mandibles took a lot out of me. Mrgr8ness is right, my hats off to the guys who are commissioned and do multiple helmets. Whatever they charge is definitely worth it. Hopefully I will get the right lower and upper cheek done and move on to the top. Let me know if I am missing anything for the ESB on screen version.

Helmet 88.jpg

Helmet 89.jpg

Helmet 90.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back