Helmet Fans?

GRINCH

Active Hunter
Wanting to find out if anyone has installed any mini fans in their helmets to cool things down when wearing them. If so, what brand of fan & is it an easy install? Thanx!

Actually, I just did this last weekend. Found all the parts I needed at Radio Shack, and built 1 fan assembly for each side of my helmet.
I got the 'mini' size fan, a 9V battery connector, and a soft-touch push button for each assembly. It went a lot easier than I thought.
Everything is mounted inside with industrial strength velcro.

I found a lot of info before I started by searching "helmet fan" right here on the board.

The key is you MUST have some amount of space behind the fan, otherwise the fan won't work. I made a little bracket out of very thin styrene and mounted the fan at a slight up-ward angle. This allows the fan to draw cool air up into the helmet. Works like a charm.

Yeah, on my mini-fans, there are 4 holes (1 in each corner) for installing small screws. I found some styrene rod the same diameter and super glued a length into each hole, making little "pegs" that space the fan away from the helmet surface. . .
You know what? I'll take some pics of my set up later and post them. It's kind of hard to explain this way.

superjedi said:
Yeah, on my mini-fans, there are 4 holes (1 in each corner) for installing small screws. I found some styrene rod the same diameter and super glued a length into each hole, making little "pegs" that space the fan away from the helmet surface. . .
You know what? I'll take some pics of my set up later and post them. It's kind of hard to explain this way.

I get what you mean. You used the styrene rod to make risers. (y)

I stole fans from school ;) I live in the CAD lab and we have boxes of the crap that are ready to be thrown out, so I pocketed... well a bunch. The only problem is that most of them are 12 volt. There is one that I pulled out of this anchient machine that was a 2.2 volt.

Here's how I installed mine:

P1010015.jpg

I used industrial strength velcro to hold the fans to the helmet. I can easily take the fans out or push them down if I need to take the helmet on or off. The velcro holds the fans in place just fine. The only problem is I attached the velcro to the rubber padding, and it doesn't hold up very well in heat. Today, it got up to 108 degrees, and I found the velcro holding the batteries had become detached from the padding.
Other than that, this configuration really does the job. Easy to breathe, no overheating, and the fans don't even touch your face.:cheers I really noticed the difference when I forgot to turn them on ... within 5 minutes, my visor was completely fogged over, and my head was a swamp.

Well, here's my setup. Like I mentioned above, I have 1 set on each side of my face. I used small styrene rods to space the fans away from the helmet. All the components are secured with industrial strength velcro. It was about $35.00 or so for all the parts.
To turn them on, all I have to do is reach my thumbs up inside and hit the buttons. :)

IMG_0014d.JPG

IMG_0016d.JPG

Thanx for the pics & info!! Going to radio shack friday & getting a set of fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back