Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics)

Well I was sent the wrong size of visor for my jango rubies and I'm terribly nervous about trimming down the smoky acrylic. I can do it I'm sure, just hesitant ;p

oh no thats the right size if it just sticks out a bit. same thing happened to me. you just have to trim it. and you have to heat up the helmet a bit befor installing it so it sits right

If you have a dremel Hydra, trimming the acrylic is no problem at all. I had to do it for Legions helmet when I was fixing it up for him. Just grab yourself some metal cut-off wheels and your good to go. =)

Oh I have a dremel, haha, it's bright neon green with heart and rainbow stickers all over it ;p I was just anxious to cut into it any...
But looks like we'll have to wait again! A relative of mine was so kind as to accidentally knock the table I was hot gluing on, setting the helmet flying and thus snapping the visor. Have to wait for the next one to come in now.

I think I'll get to my gloves tonight though.

damn, what material is your visors? i can cut mine with scissors like paper, and they dont snap bend or break when you drop them.

Like I mentioned before, t visor.com visors, perhaps I should've just went with a welding mask type deal, oh well.

yeah cheeper too.

next time than, since you're gonna make more than this one i hope.

hows the soft parts coming? weapons, etc.

P6230040.jpg

P6230041.jpg

P6230050.jpg

Gloves are done!

I'll try to get some better pictures soon.

Hydra, I'm not sure if you've attempted to trim your t-visor yet, but here's some tips I can pass along that I learned from cutting 3 visors...

1. Tape off the area on your visor that you will be cutting ( I recommend taping both sides ), green painters tape works great for this as it'll be easy to remove later and won't leave any marks or residue.
2. Mark where you need to cut/trim. Then double check your measurements. I like to make a cardboard template, which serves as both a template for fitting and for your mounting method. ( I went the chicago screw/bolt on way, so this ensures that your bolts and holes will line up perfectly. ;) )
3. Use one of the fiberglass reinforced cut off disks for your dremel tool. bring your dremel up to about 3000rpms ( provided you have a speed adjustment knob, if not... just wing it. ), and slowly go over your lines lightly scoring them. Go over the lines with multiple passes, this will help to prevent excessive heat build up in your cutting disk, thus reducing the amount of plastic "goop" the might cling to your disk.
4. Take your time. Go slowly and try to keep your hand movements as steady and smooth as you can.
5. Swap your cutting disk for a sanding drum, the 220 grit will do fine as this is to clean up and smooth out the edges.
6. Once you're satisfied with the newly trimmed visor, test fit it. If all looks good, then you can remove the tape.

Hope this will help you and happy cutting! :)

Scissors are easier to cut with. Unfortunately, scissors won't work when you try to cut a grade5 safety visor. That's where my method comes in handy. ;)

Yeah I thought the scissors worked good for cutting a straight line, but when I tried to cut corners and curves on the face sheild I completely butchered it. Ruined my first one that way.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back