It has begun...

Found it. The type of blades that fit into the tool in this pic.

Cruzer

DSC04629.JPG

Thanks Cruzer. I just got back from doing a marching band performance, and I actually fixed the problem in just about 5 minutes just before I left to go play. In those 5 minutes, I managed to stick a pocket knife down the inside of it, and gradually peel it off, remove the excess dried Goop on both the ear piece, and the helmet, tape off, and re-paint the section on the helmet that the Goop had removed, and then re-align and attach the ear piece. Looks like nothing ever happend. Im good like that...

-tubachris
(Who's thankful for short-cut's fast drying ability, that equals my impatience for my stupidity)

Well, today, I received my bobamaker visor. I will say, as many others in the past, this is a top notch visor. I especially like the first pic I took of it, where you cannot see through it at all. Sweet. Anyways, Ive stumbled across an issue where the installation of it is concerned. There are many ideas of how to install it, but this is a gapping issue. I would appreciate anyone who has installed a visor on the BKBT to give some advice on how to solve it. The seam where the actual visor and helmet meet has some serious gap issues, where I cant get the visor to meet perfectly with the helm. There is a pic of one major area. Please, I do not wish to appear to question quality of either products, they both are highly exceptional pieces work and I would proudly recommend them to any go-Fetter's. I merely ask for advice on how to solve this issue.
Thanks.

bobamakervisorwm4.th.jpg

visorgapseo5.th.jpg

-tubachris
(Who will not show the rest of the helmet until finnished because I re-did almost everything)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Chris, Get in there with some 80 grit sandpaper & sand out the bumps on the inside of the helmet. You can then lay in the visor & hit it with a heat gun for a perfect fit. If you use the paper template I supplied & cut down the Bobamaker visor you will also get a closer fit.

Hey Chris, Get in there with some 80 grit sandpaper & sand out the bumps on the inside of the helmet. You can then lay in the visor & hit it with a heat gun for a perfect fit. If you use the paper template I supplied & cut down the Bobamaker visor you will also get a closer fit.

OH YEA! I forgot about that template. Thanks BKBT, I was afraid this would have set me back. Do you mean using a blow dryer? My method as of now has been sticking it in boiled water, which works fairly well. Perhaps a blow dryer would work better because I can have the constant heat on it, and have the visor layed in there to form better, instead of taking it out, diping it for a few seconds, yadda, yadda. Man, I should have thought of that awhile ago, ever since my father used a blow dryer to properly form a highly deformed rubber darth vader mask. which surprisingly had very good details, minus the "face crushed by the Hulk's fist" look. Once again, thanks BKBT for the advice I needed.

Another thing I want to add, is that I am setting a helmet completion date. That will be on October 31st, my favorite day of the year. This includes, but not limited to: Visor installed, RF earcap attached with rare earth metal magnets, some form of liner, and ultimatly, RF with working servo by remote (shown on propbuilding methods forum). By Halloween, you will see my custom Fett (To give you an idea of what it may look like, Im just gonna say I have no other Fett costume piece, other then one of thos cheap rubies jango blasters, but will not be part of it anyways...scary? :lol: )

-tubachris
(Prepare to be amazed....)

Latest update:

I just installed the visor in today, a second time, first time I wasnt paying attention to detail, and cost me time and having to repaint part of the mandables. But now its in, everything is as it should be, unfortunatly, no pics, camera is dead. Plus, after I repaint it, the only thing left is to just install the mini-rare earth magnets for the ear cap, and the overall basic jango is done. I am holding off on the servo for now, due to lack of necessary funds, and mainly lack of time. My deadline is tuesday, October 31. So far on time.

-tubachris

Heres a pic It is my "teaser" picture since I dont want to show it all away before halloween. I think it looks pretty good.

helmetteaserlj6.th.jpg

-tubachris

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night, despite being sick, I managed to repaint all of the mandibles, ear sides, and rim, pretty much re-painted the ocean blue, and let me tell you, after this millionth time, this is the best its ever been. In fact after I stood back, and looked at it, I got chills, the good kind. I may unveil it sooner then halloween, because I wasnt expecting the amount of free time I had last night, so I may post it up by sunday or early next week. The only thing left is to do the earcap magnet attachments, which I will be goinng to mmy G-friend's house to do, because her grandfather has countersink bits and I will be celebrating my birthday. Turning 18 on the 29, celebrating early because the only other time I would be able to is in November. Im so excited:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

-tubachris
(A few friends freaked out when they saw it, one actually cried cause he loved it:rolleyes)

Alright, another quick update,

Just got back, had an excellent time. They surprised me at their house, cause she decorated her living room with star wars displays, pictures, etc. One of the gifts she gave me was a star wars saga Chess set. The thing about this chess set is that the pieces are actual characters. The black pieces being the villians, and the silver/white pieces being the goood guys. At first, I thought it was just a collection of figures, but I have to tell you, these are some of the MOST DETAILED figures I have seen. My two favorite pieces are of the Bishop pieces, one being jango taking off while aiming, the other was of Boba looking as if he's pushing a button on his left Gauntlet. Just to give and idea of how detailed, the Boba figure has everything including the skull on his shoulder bell, and the other symbol (dont know name of it) on his right side chest plate.

Anyways, sorry for that rant, I drilled 3 holes for the magnets, and epoxied them in, but tonight im going to hotglue the other 3 to the actual earcap, and then it will be done. I may have pics up by tomorrow night of my FINISHED helmet. Cant wait!

-tubachris
(Who's gonna go finish my helmet right now)

Dude, being sick is the best time for working on it. A day off from school to get things done.;)

Its also the best time for your parents to harp on you for not going to school when you say, "I'm sick" and they see me wandering outside to do a paint touch up or something when they say "go to bed."

Mini update since im posting:

Last night I had unexpected difficulty with the epoxy I have to attach the magnets to the earcap. Due to the fact that it takes sooooooo long to dry, I was only able to get one attached so far, only because another magnet was in such close proximity to the other, that it would just do what magnets do, and attach themselves to each other, thus, it would be pointless trying to do all at a single time. This morning, I found that the first magnet stayed happily in one spot, and that it is perfectly aligned. Now I just need to finish the other two.

-tubachris
(Wanna hear my life story as well?:lol:facepalm)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back