It has begun...

Here they are...
Just makes me realize how crappy my camera can be sometimes.

Two outdoor shots

shinyfront2zg.th.jpg

shinybackside8tj.th.jpg

And one inside

shinydome9mn.th.jpg

-tubachris

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a total noob to painting, but im gonna have to wise up here soon as i'll be getting my helmet from BKBT soon, is the rub and buff for just the Jango and Boba helms because of the silver? Or should I put it on my custom too just as an underlying color?

I guess, its a matter of opinion. Its really up to the person painting. The R&B works well with e jango helm because it appears to be the most accurate looking paint, as oppose to spray painting a cheap silver on it that eventually flakes off. Im a complete moron when it comes to paints, but I highly recommend the R&B. Ive heard that the model paint called "aclad 2"? I believe it is, are awsome for a real metallic look. But for a complete novice like me, the R&B looks like real metal, and even fooled a few of my friends. As far at an under coat, thats personal preference. I thought about R&B'ing the whole helm just for the sake that it any blue sections got a deep enough scratch (for whatever reason) that it would look as if there is real metal underneath. I imagine people who paint up boba helms may use an undercouat of silver paint just to make the battle damage more realistic, and more natural lookiing. I actually thought about doing the same concept for my paintball armor. Thats my opinion about it.

-tubachris

Hello all, heres another update (late update). I managed to obtain the short cuts, after searching like indiana jones and the lost ark :rolleyes So I got greedy and bought 2 cans of it. Other then that, Im done with the painting. Granted, there are little imperfections, that Im sure everyone has with the exception of a selected few tlented people. But Im a begginer and its the best I can do. Just a few tings I might need to ask about the RF before I attach the last earpiece to cover the screw though.

Here it is so far:

paintedfrontuw2.th.jpg

paintedleftsideha1.th.jpg

paintedrfsidexf6.th.jpg

If youcant see, I put chicken wire to the inside of the keyholes

paintedbackwq2.th.jpg

-tubachris

nice work bud. Did you drill a hole in your rangfinder stalk, or did it come like that?

The RF stalk that came with the helm had a hole already drilled through. What I had to do was counter sink the bolt so the head wold not disrupt the cap cover that part of it so it lays flat. Thanks guys, Im excited about getting it done. Im working on getting a bobamaker visor to finish it off. hmm..when I start to line it with foam or padding, I'll need to add weight to side oposite of the RF to balance it. I dont know if anyone else ran into that before, I imagined it would (and did). Once again, thanks guys, almost done.

-tubachris

Heres the assembly and how I put this bad boy together. The series of pics show the components.

Here is the RF stalk with original hole and counter sunk around it for the screw to lay flat inside it.

rfholelg2.th.jpg

Here is the hole in the helmet through, be careful when you line up the ear piece and the actual placement of it when you drill, I had a slight "oops," but it turned to benifit me slightly in the end.

helmetholegc1.th.jpg

Here is the screw assembly I managed to improvise which works well. I like it because it is smooth and easily attaches. As you can see I have 3 spacers for increased tighness. I use the large plastic (cear one) spacer so that it dosnt scratch up the inside when moving around. Two smaller metal spacer for added security.

screwpartszz4.th.jpg

Assembled

screwassembledcw7.th.jpg

Here is the RF fully attached to the helm, screw, and all. The spacers are obviously on the inside of the helmet.

rfattachedsn1.th.jpg

Thats all I can really do ya for, hope it helps. The only issue Im having right now though, Is that I want to be able to move the RF up and down, but I otice that it loosens the scre cap, and cause it to move about on its own. The thing Im afraid of is that once I glue the ear cap to cover it up, is that it will become loose and I wont be able to tighten it up again. Also, I came across an error, the earcap on the other side is glued too far forward, and I was wondering if there is anyway to fix it at this point, I used Goop directly too it. If theres any suggestions, please let me know how to fix it. Thanks.

-tubachris

Any suggestions on how to remove the earcap properly so I can re posistion it? Im afraid that the goop would rip off anything its attached too

-tubachris

If you try to pry it off, you risk screwing up a pretty expensive helmet. Since goop remains kinda flexible and doesn't really "harden" like other glues, I'd go to Walmart or Home Depot and get a package of those long scraper type razor blades(think they're by the tape and glues) and see if you can run it between the helmet and ear piece to help separate them. Even if you can only separate them a little on every side, that would be better than trying to pry the whole thing off. I posted a pic somewhere in another thread of the type of razor blade I'm talking about...I'll see if I can find it.

Cruzer

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back