It has begun...

GCNgamer128 said:
How about you start uploading some smaller pics, I have to right click, get the URL, and open it up in IE so I get a smaller photo. If you look in a microscope, you see reaaaaally close, but it's hard to see what the object is you are looking at since we are so far zoomed in.

I normally reduce pictures to 25% of their original size on my 5megpix camera.

Are my pics too big? I apologize if they are, I just upload them directly from the camra cause its faster.

Also another update. Last night, I applied a second coat, and wetsanded the whole thing. It came out smoother then I thought it would be, with the exception of 1 or 2 small areas which I need to fix. I tested the Rub and Buff on the dome as well, and it came out nicly, and was pretty shiny for the most part. But I encountered my first problem so far. After I wetsanded, I felt around the whole thing to make sure that it was evenly smooth, and I didnt feel anything rough, until I applied the R&B in an apparent rough area. So that little nich is a mess, no more then a 1 inch area, but reall noticible. Anyone know of a good remover to take off some of the R&B? I imagine after its removed, I'll have to wetsand those areas again. Also, I R&B the keyholes, and looks very well, has a great shine to it, and looks like metel. I also masked off the visor and the bottom of the cheek for now, only because I have the royal blue ready, comptemplating spraying the cheeks before I leave to texas, but I dont know yet. I'll try to post pics if I can later.

-tubachris

firstsonofsolo said:
MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!!!!!

dun dun dun dun dund dun dun dunnit dunnit dun huh!

Sorry had to I am in a mood

"And the award for the most random and most beweildering reply goes to... Firstsonofsolo"

You have 10 seconds to move your new car...
You have 10 seconds to move your car from the impound lot...
You now have 15 seconds before your new car is smashed into a cube....
Mr. Firstsonofsolo, will you please move your cube

-tubachris

tubachris85x said:
"And the award for the most random and most beweildering reply goes to... Firstsonofsolo"

You have 10 seconds to move your new car...
You have 10 seconds to move your car from the impound lot...
You now have 15 seconds before your new car is smashed into a cube....
Mr. Firstsonofsolo, will you please move your cube

-tubachris
:)
The episode of the Simpsons when Mr. Smithers went out of town and Homer took his place in taking care of Mr. Burns.

firstsonofsolo said:
You know

"IT HAS BEGUN..."
Thats how the mortal Kombat song starts!

Precisly....

Good job GCN, Im glad to know people know thier Simpson episodes (By which I compare almost every daily life experience with an episode of the Simpsons)

Alright everyone, Im leaving tommorrow at 7:50 am bound for NAS Kingsville, I will be gone for 4 weeks (a month). Until then, I wont be working on my helm, and will try to continue as soon as I get back. During this time, I wont have accses to a computer, so dont send me a PM to call an ambulance, or save your life, if you did, I might show up a few weeks late. So thats it, and see you all guys in July.

-tubachris
(dont miss me too much now)

ARG!

I am now a Sea Cadet Master At Arms (MAA) Graduated this morning, however, ONLY HALF WAY THROUGH! I am still in NAS Kingsville, A.K.A. The middle of nowhere. I have two more weeks until I get back. I'll be staying for ceromonial honor guard training, basically bootcamp, but for looking sharp. This is my last post until I get back. See you then!

-tubachris

I am back finally. Gone for about 5 weeks, and now able to continue. I plan on starting up soon, but once again, i'll be leaving in about a week for little creek virginia. My helm is still exactly the way it was when I left. The only thing left is basically painting it, and I still need that short cuts ocean blue.... Anyways, I'm back to wreak some havoc :evil

-tubachris

New update...

Before I left, I decided to try and do something other then the priming and sanding, and that was to tape off a section where I think I might start to paint. On top of that, I also tested the R&B on the backside. I did the keyholes, which came out fine, but I will put 1 or 2 more layers on it later, but the dome section actually screwed me over, because I found a ruffspot while applying the test coat, and it looks nasty, but the areas around it that was smooth looked really nice. I was wondering what is te best chemical or solution to removing the R&B so that I can sand that portion again, without ruining the fiberglass?

Heres some pics..

Taped off section so far

helmtapedvisr.jpg

Rub and Buff test

helmrubbufftest.jpg

-tubachris
(whos still looking for that dang krylon short cuts....)

bigkidbiggertoys said:
No need to use any stripper, just wetsand the affected area & it will smooth it out & remove the RnB.

Thanks BKBT, I'll give it a try. I thought about doing that, but was afraid that it wouldnt be affective.

-tubachris

update:

well I decided to start with some painting. Ive started on the ear cap pieces and rub and buffed the areas that require silver with the exceptions of the lower cheek portions. Thats it so far, here's some pics. Enjoy.

Please excuse the terrible lighting, its shinier then it appears in the picture.

helmetwithrbfront.jpg

helmetwithrbback.jpg

helmetwithrbside.jpg

-tubachris

Make sure the surface is ultra smooth by using between 600 and 800 wet grit sand paper, then just rub it on with your finger and keep spreading it out to you can't anymore, once you get your entire surface covered, come back and buff it with your palm and/or paper toweling.(y) Hope that helps bro'!

P.S. A little goes a long, long way!

:cheers

What i did (after sanding it of course) i apply the R&B with my fingers until evenly distributed over the area, and then I use my palm, and rub that area hard for a few seconds, and then take a rag, and rub the same area until it wont shine any more. That usually works the best. I guess I did a good job on mine, cause both my mom and friend came in and thought it looked like real metal, so I guess I pass the test. I also put another coat of the paint on the ear pieces.

-tubachris

tubachris85x said:
What i did (after sanding it of course) i apply the R&B with my fingers until evenly distributed over the area, and then I use my palm, and rub that area hard for a few seconds, and then take a rag, and rub the same area until it wont shine any more. That usually works the best. I guess I did a good job on mine, cause both my mom and friend came in and thought it looked like real metal, so I guess I pass the test. I also put another coat of the paint on the ear pieces.

-tubachris

Are these sold at Michaels art stores? I'd like to get started on rub n buffing my armor ASAP! :D

Yes actually, thats the only store I found it at. I'll be posting better quality pics of the helm so you can get a better idea of what it looks like, and in better lighting. The previous pics were taken at night, so I couldnt do any better.

-tubachris

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back