My First Attempt

TK 4130

Active Hunter
After lurking around here for ages I finally decided to give the ESB Boba Fett helmet a shot. I've done a few sets of stormtrooper armor in the past, but lets face it, there's not much of a painting challenge there. I got a Marrow_Sun 2 helmet a few months ago, and finally got around to getting it started...

I cut out little eye holes to see how big it would look on me...
untrimmed01.jpg

Then I painted it "Nickle Shimmer".
silver01.jpg

Next was the liquid masking.
masking02.jpg

I painted the dome and cheeks.
firstpaint.jpg

Next...
almostdone02.jpg

Had a little fubar with the keyholes. The two paints didn't like each other.
disaster.jpg

A black wash to dull down the colors, and there you have it.
keyhole03.jpg
keyhole02.jpg

keyhole.jpg

It was a lot of fun doing this, I'd like to thank everyone here for all the help. Now that I'm done I want to do another one. I'm thinking about a M_S 3...

That's looking outstanding :eek: Great work. What paint type did you use to make it slick looking? Curious because mine is a bit coarse but then I haven't added a coat of semi-gloss and dull yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the spray paints I used...

paints.jpg

1. Tamiya Color - Olive Drab (mandibles)
2. Just Enough - Burgundy (visor)
3. Krylon Fusion - Nickle Shimmer (undercoat)
4. Armor Coat -Grass Green (dome and cheeks)
5. Krylon - Almond (back and rangefinder ear piece, mixed with below)
6. Krylon - Bright Gold (rangefinder ear pieces, mixed with above)
7. Painters Choice - Meadow Green (back) this is the only color I wasn't happy with.

Besides the masking tape what did you use to mask the individual cat scratch etc on the helmet? I'm really impressed with your approach!

Yikes, I guess I screwed up it's a M_S 1 not 2. :eek: I got it directly from MS himself, through ebay. Awesome helmet to work with, quality all the way.(y)

MacRory said:
Besides the masking tape what did you use to mask the individual cat scratch etc on the helmet? I'm really impressed with your approach!

I used AMBROID E Z MASK, I got it at a local hobby shop. It came in a little bottle, and the liquid is green in color. That's the green stuff in the third pic.

Did you use a brush to apply the E Z Mask? I used Winsor & Newton's latex based liquid and I gunked up two of my brushes :lol: Have any similar experience or did that work pretty well?

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back