Shackman Vs. TK409 Chest Display compare

LionsPride said:
Thats good to know, I have MLC armor..

Think my wife would mind a nice set of TK 409 chest lights for Mothers Day ?

ahh cmon, it would be kinda like the gifts I get for Birthdays and Fathers days, you know, over sized sweatshirts and flanel PJ's that conveniently don't fit me that she wears lounging around the house..

Can't blame a Fett for trying LOL ;)

BTW, great comparison, thanks for sizing them up for us. Both look very well made.

(y) for TK409
(y) for Shackman
:lol: :lol: Yeah, if you like sleeping on the sofa;)

Good info on chest displays.I just got my Tk409 chest display in and its bright in day and night. But I want to own a shackmen also, its a little more stuff and its not as bright as tk409. But they both look great.

I have seen the shackman and have owned TK 409's.

Personally I dig the shackman its tad more sublte and subdued not as bright.

Chris does great work though, it all depends on what your going for.

well I am sold on shackman's all the way now, cause I dig the black display opposed to the white one

too bad they are not in production anymore

I have the TK-409 version and I thought it was a tad bright. I went to an optometrist and got a pair of those disposable sunglasses they had out for eye diolation. I cut it out and taped it to the inside of the window. Works like a charm.

Great IDEA! I have the TK409 lights and I was planning on using some of the trimmed portion of my welding visor for glueing to the inside of the armor at the "window"

I'll have to try both to see which works best.

Pavespawn said:
I have the TK-409 version and I thought it was a tad bright. I went to an optometrist and got a pair of those disposable sunglasses they had out for eye diolation. I cut it out and taped it to the inside of the window. Works like a charm.

Zeever Fett said:
well I am sold on shackman's all the way now, cause I dig the black display opposed to the white one

too bad they are not in production anymore

The white won't show. The TK409 lights sit behind a piece of smoked or tinted plastic.

Judging JUST by the pics and movie files.. I really prefer the Shackman´s... Really sweet !!!

I will get one of those for sure ;)

Ripcode said:
The white won't show. The TK409 lights sit behind a piece of smoked or tinted plastic.

armor_2.jpg

I see no smoke or tinted plastic...

Zeever Fett said:
armor_2.jpg

I see no smoke or tinted plastic...

This picture was just to show how the TK409 lights line up in the BM armor. Would have been hard to see behind the smoked plastic. :rolleyes

I guess it's just prefernce then, I think shackman's looks more authentic.

the Digits on 409's are too narrow and the lights at the top are too small and spread out.

Shackman's lights are bigger and the Digits look more like the example shown on 409's website...

both are probably good quality, but I would go with Shackman's if I wanted something more accurate to the one from the film...

Zeever Fett said:
I guess it's just prefernce then, I think shackman's looks more authentic.

It's good to see there are plenty of sources/options when it comes to Fett parts! I think they both look great! (y)

I like the fact that TK409's board is all one piece and compact, as opposed to Shack's board is spread out. Also when you put TK409's behind dark tinted plastic it's not too bright at all, especially in the day light IMO. Last but not least the price is right and the Item is already made, I got mine within a few days of payment. However their both very nice and I'd be happy to have either!

I'm glad to see this comparison and appreciate very much the nice review comments. I think the more options, the better it is for the fans. For reference, I have recommended you use a dark piece of plastic as a window in front of the display. These photos are of my actual display with a small piece of visor plastic covering the display. Obviously you don't see the white show through:

1.jpg

2.jpg

aaf.sized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I, for one, am glad to see comparisons between two or more products. Well informed custoemrs are a good thing in any business (my opinion).

I didn't want to post previously, because I didn't want to come across as "pushing" my design. But, TK-409 has posted, and I don't think he pushed his either ... so just to address some points about why mine is the way it is:

1) The LEDs are not intended to be bright on mine, because the actual display (real suit) was a subtle effect. Most people not studying Fett didn't even know he HAD lights. I agree about brighter being better for viewing in sunlight (outdoors), which is why I offer standard and ultra-bright options in my Vader circuit. So, user preference all the way (which again, is a good thing).

2) The split circuit design (two boards connected by ribbon cable) was intended to keep you from having to cram too much behind one breast plate. With this design, you put one piece behind each breast plate, for a little more of a balance (it was suggested to me during the design phase).

3) Top row of LEDs, won't go into much there. Mine was designed based on requirements and pictures provided to me by TDHers way back when. If I had the option, honestly, I'd have used something similar to what TK-409 and others have done. Unless you're studying the display suit up-close, you probably won't see a difference (only for those that who would measure Fett's dimensions on a museum suit). You know who you are. ;)

Again, I'm glad everyone has options. Quite some time back, TK-409 and I chatted (e-mail) a bit, so I know his design had a lot of thought put into it. I've never seen one in-person, but I think Fett costumers will have an awesome display regardless which route you choose.

Good luck,

ATM
ShackMan

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back