glue, snaps, or velcro?

Zurath Kodul

Active Hunter
For my armor, should I attach it wih snaps, glue, or velcro? I don't have it cut out, yet. So I figured that I should know as much as I can before starting it.

Glue, I don't about. I have some velcroed pieces, but if bumped they may shift. Snaps shold be perfect.

For my Jodo outfit, I use a combination of velcro and snaps. Lately, I have been moving away from the velcro and adding many more snaps. They just seem to hold the best.

Yes, snaps will deffinetly be alot better than velcro. Somehow, setting in my closet, which is around 68 F degrees, the adheisive of the velcro had run down on my vest, and absolutly ruined it. I could of corse weather the vest and jumpsuit, to cover it up.....Next time, Im deffinetly going snaps all the way.

But how do you attach them to the armor peice? Not epoxy is it?

Qman,

I disagree, Industrial velcro works suffienciently for awhile, but snaps hold indefinately, unlike velcro, which gives out at all the wrong times...trust me on that.

Jodo, yes, epoxy one half of the snap on the armor.

What are you apply the snaps to?

I'm going to apply them to the chest and stomach armor. I'm skipping the back and JP all togther, I'll be wearing a cloak. Also, what's the simplest way to make the gauntlets?

i've had no problem with velcro... one side sewn in to the vest, and the other size gooped onto the back of the armor. never had anything pop out yet.

Jodo Kast 3 said:
Qman,

I disagree, Industrial velcro works suffienciently for awhile, but snaps hold indefinately, unlike velcro, which gives out at all the wrong times...trust me on that.

Jodo, yes, epoxy one half of the snap on the armor.

What are you apply the snaps to?
hm... ya, i guess your right

i would recommend what jodo said, a combo of velcro and snaps.

but i recommended velcro earlier since my thought was, since u just need to sew it on the suit, velcro was easier for some starters, like hopefull. i doubt he has experience, so i thought he should use velcro. snaps seem harder to sew on, i think.

i could be wrong.

The snaps attach with a hammer tool. You do not have to sew them. For my vest, I used nothing but snaps. You start with a small pilot hole for each, feed the snaps, and hammer them together with the included tool. For the armor side, epoxy them in.

I figured so Craig......I'd proboly velcro the chest diamond into place, and perhaps a peice or two on the jet pack, and gauntlets, but I'd never use velcro for anything major again. Although it realy helped when I had a deal with armor placement, but thats the only thing I liked about it.

I sewed industrial velcro to my vest and gorilla glued the other part to the back of my armor and I've never had any problem with it coming off, but I can still remove it if I want. The key is you need to use "industrial" velcro not that crummy small stuff.

Well, I think I may have hit a snag: The velcro I have says "do not use on flexible vinyls." The only thing I've found besides sintra was some used linoleum, which works pretty well. Now, I am going to have a fun time lining up the velcro or snaps with this armor. The reaosn being that I and going the cheap route for my first costume; I'm using a sweatshirt with a deep hood and a cape form my old hallowen costume. It looks pretty sith-ish, but I need to attach the armor to it without damaging either the "armor" or the shirt.

I think I may be in too deep, but I'm going to wade through it like Luke in the compacter....wish me luck, guys.

If you want to attach velcro to a hard or semi-flexible surface, you could try "Shoe Goo." I've used this stuff with great results. It's basically a super strong contact cement. It stinks to high Heaven while it's curing, but once it's dry, your velcro isn't going anywhere.

Hey, I never thought of that. I used shoe-goo when I re-atachede the head to an old toy of mine. I'll be sure to try it, if we still have any left.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back